Summary: WE CAN OVERCOME THE DEVIL THROUGH CHRIST ALONE!
THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT PART IV: OVERCOMING BECAUSE his TIME IS SHORT
REVELATION 12: 1-17
JULY 20, 2003
INTRODUCTION: A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD PRAISE AND WORSHIP HYMNAL #3
TRANSITION THOUGHT: The truth of this Hymn is that the battle is over! Three weeks ago, we started on a journey learning together learning how the Devil works and how we can avoid what he desires for us, ultimately our destruction. Again, I say, if you do not believe that the Devil is hard at work, why are there pews without people on them?
THESIS SENTENCE: WE CAN OVERCOME THE DEVIL THROUGH CHRIST ALONE!
CONTEXT: Our text begins with a great cosmic event. God the FATHER has set the stage. Salvation is on the way! A sign appears in the heavens and it is a woman about to give birth. Another sign appears and it is a great and fearsome Red Dragon. The Dragon has one desire and it is to destroy the male child. As the great cosmic drama unfolds, we see the hand of our SOVEREIGN GOD at work. The woman is the Nation Israel, Mary the mother of Jesus, and the Bride of Christ, the CHURCH. The Dragon, we are told is Satan himself, also called the Devil. The Child is born, the ONE who will rule the nations with an Iron Scepter. HE is none other than Jesus Christ our Lord. Immediately HE ascends into the heaven to God the Father. The Woman escapes the snare of the Red Dragon and flees into the desert where God had prepared a place for her.
War erupts in heaven, but the battle is over! The Dragon and his minions are not strong enough and are defeated. Michael the Archangel and his angels expel the Dragon and his angels to the earth where he will lead the world astray.
THEN JOHN HEARD A LOUD VOICE IN HEAVEN SAY:
NOW HAVE COME THE SALVATION AND THE POWER AND THE KINGDOM OF OUR GOD AND THE AUTHORITY OF HIS CHRIST. FOR THE ACCUSER OF OUR BROTHERS, WHO ACCUSES THEM BEFORE OUR GOD DAY AND NIGHT, HAS BEEN HURLED DOWN. THEY OVER CAME HIM…
This is the point, the Nation Israel and its off spring of faith; the church has overcome the Great Red Dragon, Satan, otherwise known as the Devil. This is our desire. We do not want to be defeated any longer by the power of Evil. We desire to over come evil. No longer will our families be destroyed by chaos. No longer will our lives be marked by the pain of bad choices. No longer will we reap what we sow. We have set our course; we will not play the Devil’s game. We will not let the Devil make us do it! We will OVERCOME! But how will we overcome? We will overcome by what the scriptures teach us!
THE SCRIPTURES TEACH US…
I. OVERCOMING IS THROUGH HIS BLOOD
A. OVERCOMING IS NEVER IN OUR OWN POWER
1. Adam and Eve were deceived because they refused to take God at His word. They tried to reason with the serpent in the Garden, but were no match for the Devil. Have you ever wondered what it might have been like if they had just said, “Let’s wait and see what the Lord God says, we’ll ask Him.”
2. Did Jesus overcome the Devil during HIS great temptation in the desert in HIS own strength? I do not think so! Remember, He was lead and filled by the SPIRIT of GOD. And, He overcame through the word of God, which HE knew well enough to quote and apply, even when the Devil quoted scripture to HIM (see Matt. 4 and Lk. 4).
B. OVERCOMING IS THROUGH CHRIST ALONE
1. So how did Israel, ultimately the Bride of Christ, overcome the Devil? They overcame through the Blood of the Lamb.
2. Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb? Are you washed in the blood, in the soul cleansing blood of the Lamb? Are your garments spotless? Are they white as snow? Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
3. Is the Blood of Jesus something you rejoice in, or does it seem crude and vile to speak of such?
4. Scripture speaks often of blood and celebrates the Blood of Jesus!
Matthew 26:27-28 “Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.’”
Romans 5:9 Paul wrote, “Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!”
Ephesians 1:7 Paul wrote, “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace…”