Summary: Helping us discern the three voices speaking to us, the voice of God, our voice and that of Satan’s.
Discerning between the voice of God, our own & that of Satan
Series: Can you recognize the voice of God?
Text: John 10:1-5
1. The steps I am going to share, I have gleaned from my personal studies and encounters, as well as from Roger Barrier, author of The sound of God’s voice, Baker books, and from my good friend I have never met, Keith Daniels.
A. Discerning between the voice of God, our own & that of Satan
1. By God, I mean either him, or the Holy Spirit or Jesus speaking to us
2. By the devil I mean a seducing spirit and not actually the devil himself.
3. By my own, the thoughts that come from my mind
B. God has given us the Bible to test all revelation that we receive
1. We receive revelation through our inner man, our spirit
we process that revelation, test it, walk it out through the faculties -use of our minds.
C. Steps to use in discerning the voices we hear
1. God speaks deep within my spirit, and the devil speaks to my soul or mind
a. It is imperative we learn to discern whether what we heard came from deep within (the spirit) or on a more upper level, (soulish realm)
b. God alone, resides, takes residence within our spirit. Satan and God cannot both occupy our spirit man at one time.
1. "But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit."
c. The Word of God also helps us to judge between the soulish (natural man) and the spirit.
1. "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit…” (Hebrews 4:12, KJV)
2. How many times, I cannot count, a thought has come to me that I found upon reading the word of God, the word confirmed
d. Satan’s can penetrate and/or inject thoughts
1. Have you ever had a thought enter your mind of evil and wondered where that came from?
2. What was your reaction, when that crossed your minds?
Wait for audience participation
Your immediate thought in your spirit is, why in the world would I ever think such a thing?
We’ll I have good news. You did not think it, he did.
Satan threw it at you, hoping to unseat your peace as he whispers, if you were a REAL Christian, you never would have thought that.
For us… Try and discern whether a though has come from your spirit or Your mind.