Summary: We are to be Doorkeepers: loving the House and Presence of God, and opening the doors of the Kingdom of Heaven to those without knowledge. As Doorkeepers, we're to go in and bring others with us.
1. A little girl and her older brother were visiting their grandfather's farm – their first time out of the city. The older brother decided to play a trick on his younger sister. He told her that he had just seen a man-eating chicken.
2. The girl was frightened and ran inside in fear. Then the older brother heard his little sister scream. He ran inside immediately. She was screaming at their grandfather, who was chowing down on a plate of fried chicken.
3. "What is it?" he asked. His sister turned to him in fear and said," It- it's- IT'S A MAN EATING CHICKEN!!!"
1How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD Almighty! 2My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. 3Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young— a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God. 4Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you. Selah. 5Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. 10Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. Ps. 84:1-5, 10
Korah, ancestor to the Sons of Korah, died in rebellion against Moses, but his sons loved God & had charge of the doors of the Tabernacle (1 Chr. 9:17-19;23:5;26:1,12). THE DOORKEEPER IS:
I. AN IMPORTANT POSITION IN CHURCHES
A. FRIENDSHIP OFFERED TO THE VISITOR
1. Verse 10 is in part extolling the virtue of being a doorkeeper – someone with the role of opening the door when the owner of the house or visitors approach. That is an important role. A smile and a warm handshake will make newcomers feel at home.
2. When I was in seminary, Angela and I went to several other Churches to fulfil requirements for a class I was taking. In some places we were welcomed warmly and were immediately introduced to other members of the congregation; we felt among friends in the Church family. Sadly there was one place – which will remain ***
nameless - where we were so comprehensively ignored that no would even look at us or greet us! Suppose I’d been a suffering soul looking for solace from the Gospel – what would I have thought and would I have ever returned?
3. The blessed role of doorkeepers! It’s a role which every one of us can share – you don’t need to be pinned with a badge and made official – just search out the newcomers and make them feel welcome.
B. REPRESENTING GOD AS WELCOMING
1. Certainly the Scripture “let the little children come unto Me” has reference to our openness to people coming into our church who are seeking God. We must be careful to not turn them away.
2. John Bisagno former Pastor of Houston’s First Baptist Church tells the story of his coming there to candidate for the position of pastor many years ago.
a. He said that as he entered the auditorium it was dimly lit, with just a few people huddled together. They were singing some old slow funeral type song that was depressing.
b. Later that day he took a walk in downtown Houston and came upon a jewellery store. It was some sort of grand opening and there were bright lights and a greeter at the door to welcome you in with a smile. Inside there was a celebration going on. There were refreshments and people having a good time talking and laughing with each other. They welcomed him and offered him some punch.
c. He said that after attending both the church and the jewellery store, if the jewellery store had offered an invitation, he would have joined the jewellery store!
3. The importance of entertaining angels “unawares.”
II. DESIRED BY THOSE WHO LOVE GOD
A. AN INTENSE LOVE FOR GOD’S PRESENCE
1. The Doorkeeper was a person who loved the house of God/ the Presence of God above all other things & pursuits. THE DOORKEEPER SAYS:
2. Ps. 84:1-3; 1How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD Almighty! 2My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. 3Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young— a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
3. It is also a listening and learning position. Prov. 8:33-35 33; “Listen to my instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. 34Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. 35For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD.”