Summary: As father's we have a great responsibility to teach our families to love the Lord. God gives us the key ingredients to accomplish this purpose. Intertwined in this is teaching them to love, respect and follow God's Word. Notice three things that are vital to teaching our families to love Him.
THE DUTIES OF FATHERHOOD.
Deuteronomy 6 (KJV)
4. Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
5. And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. 6. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: 7. And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. 8. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. 9. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.
As father's we have a great responsibility to teach our families to love the Lord. God gives us the key ingredients to accomplish this purpose. Intertwined in this is teaching them to love, respect and follow God's Word. Notice three things that are vital to teaching our families to love Him.
I. We need to Talk Of God's Word
A. We need to take the time to talk with our families of the things of God
(Prov 22:6 KJV)Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. "Train up a child"
1. Dedicate or set aside time for God's purpose.
2. We must have clear cut objectives of what we plan to teach them
3. We must create a strong desire for spirituality in there lives.
B. Some principles of Training
1. Training is more than teaching.
a. Teaching deals with the mind
b. Training deals with the will
c. Training is not only TELLING them what to do, but SHOWING them how to do it.
d. Training is bringing our families to the place that they are
accustomed to dong right habitually, willingly and happily!
2. Prevention is better that Cure.
This means start early and stay on the job constantly! Be aware of what is going on around us and our families.
3. Habit precedes Understanding! It seems that when children get into their teen years they start to question the things we have taught them. This is the time that those things are being weighed. They are deciding if these will be THEIR convictions also.
4. Example is better than Precept.
Actions speak louder than words.
5. Love that Draws is better than Law that Demands!
II. We need to Do God's Word
A. Pray FOR our families. Pray WITH them
B. Praise is very important
1. Praise God!!!
2. 2. Praise your Wife and Children.
This teaches them to be grateful
a. Listen to them. God listens to us! He even asks us to bring our needs to Him!
b. Spend enjoyable time with them!
C. We need to BE God's Word
Matt.12:34-35 "O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things." Prov.4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
We Must be saved!!!
2. We Must have the "Great" commandment firmly placed in our hearts.
Matt.22:37-38 "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. "