Summary: Since the end is near how should we respond?
The End is near so how do we respond?
1. This must be the End
• Today reading Jesus paints a vivid picture of the end
• It is a time when creation is in revolt . 11There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. Typhoons, Big Sandy’s, Sunomies, snow storms
• It is a time when Humans are terrorizing each other shooting in public places movies, marathons, airports
• It is a time when Beliefs in God are under attack Cant pray
2. If the end is near then how should followers live or respond?
A. Jesus does not say to live in fear despite the Possibilities of Persecution
• 12"But before all this, they will lay hands on you and persecute you. They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name
B. Jesus tells the followers to not live in fear but to live in readiness and awareness
• . 13This will result in your being witnesses to them. 14But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves.
C. Jesus tells the followers to understand it is an opportunity to be a Force
• 16You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. 17All men will hate you because of me. 18But not a hair of your head will perish. 19By standing firm you will gain life.
D. Jesus say we can be a force for none can resist I will be your help
• . 15For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.
• Consider Acts 6:9-10 9Opposition arose, however, from members of the Synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called)--Jews of Cyrene and Alexandria as well as the provinces of Cilicia and Asia. These men began to argue with Stephen, 10but they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke
3. Jesus tells the Followers to Focus on the End Results.
A. No matter how bad things may get we will be okay
. 18But not a hair of your head will perish. 19By standing firm you will gain life.
B. Focus on as a child of the King "I can't Fail"
• we can walk through life with a deep abiding assurance,
• when all is said and done we will be safe and secure
• 20"When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. 21Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. 22For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written. 23How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. 24They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled. 25"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
C. Jesus invites us to focus on the winners
• 28When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."
D. You will only be a winner if you’re saved get Ready Get right Please Get Saved. Lord forgive me of my sins I believe in the death, burial, and your resurrection. Come into my life Amen.