Summary: A sermon looking at the entire life of Jesus Christ
The End Of The Beginning
- One year and seven months ago we began a study of the life of Jesus. In that period of time we have followed each step of Jesus that is recorded in the Gospels. In this series I have preached 71 sermons at an average of 30 min per sermon. That is over 35 hours that we have spent studying the greatest life in the history of the world. And with all that we have seen, we have barely scratched the surface! There is no way to cover all that Jesus did during His time on earth. In fact John says in - John 21:25 (that) there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
- Well, today we come to the close of this study. And I am here to tell you that this is not the end...IT IS ONLY THE BEGINNING!! I would like to go back to the beginning and survey the life of our Savior and preach on the thought "The End Of The Beginning". In order to understand the entirety of Jesus' life we must go back further than His arrival at Bethlehem. For we are told that Jesus was present in creation - John 1:1 ¶In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
- This life is an absolutely amazing life! Through His life, death, and sacrifice it is possible for us to have life and to have it more abundantly! The reason for all that we have seen and will see is because God knew that we needed a a Savior - Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
- I would like to look at certain aspects of the Life of Jesus. We will examine:The Prophecy Of Jesus Christ, The Authority Of Jesus Christ, The Ministry Of Jesus Christ, The Humanity Of Jesus Christ, The Divinity Of Jesus Christ, The Victory Of Jesus Christ and The Personality Of Jesus Christ
Let's look to the Old Testament for a while and consider:
I. THE PROPHECY OF JESUS CHRIST
- In the Garden of Eden Adam & Eve sinned, as a result God sacrificed an animal and made coats of skin to cover their nakedness. There at that moment, and from that moment on Man was in need of a Savior. God told the Serpent (Satan) that there would come a Messiah Who would be the offspring of a woman (Genesis 3:21)- This Messiah would eventually crush the head of Satan. (Genesis 3:15) - He would be from the "Seed of Abraham" (Genesis 12:3) - This Messiah would bless all the nations on earth. (Genesis 12:3) - He would be a “prophet like Moses”. (Deuteronomy 18:15) - He would be born in Bethlehem. (Micah 5:2) - He would be born of a virgin. (Isaiah 7:14) - He would have a Kingdom that will last forever. (2 Samuel 7:16) - He would be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. This Messiah would possess an everlasting kingdom. (Isaiah 9:6-7) - There were also many prophecies concerning His arrival, His death, burial resurrection and His return - (Zechariah 9:9-10, Isaiah 53:5, Isaiah 53:9, Psalm 16:10,Daniel 7:13-14, Malachi 4:2, Zechariah 12:10) - Jesus was the one spoken of by the Prophets. He was the one pointed to in the Law. Then when the time was right, He took on a robe of flesh and then came to this Earth as the promised Messiah.
The Angel Gabriel went to a virgin named Mary and told her that she had found favor with God (Luke 1:30) Furthermore she would conceive in her womb the Son of God. She was instructed to name Him Jesus (Luke 1:31) - Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem to be taxed While they were there Mary gave birth to Jesus. She laid Him in a manger because there was no room in the inn. (Luke 2:7) - After 8 days they took Jesus to the Temple to present Him to the Lord and to offer a sacrifice (Luke 2:21-24) - There in the Temple Jesus was greeted and worshipped by a man named Simeon & a woman named Anna. (Luke 2:25-41) - At the age of 12 we have record of the boy Jesus discussing theology with the Doctors in the Temple. (Luke 2:46) - From the age of 12 to 30 there is a pause in the record concerning Jesus' life. But we are told that "He Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. (Luke 2:52) - Then in John Chapter 1 we find the forerunner of Jesus, (John the Baptist) as he came preaching repentance. When Jesus came on the scene John announced His arrival by proclaiming - "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." (John 1:29) - The prophecy was fulfilled, God's promise had come to the Earth.