Summary: The cost of deception and pretense is a price that most never want to pay
THE FEET OF THEM WHICH HAVE BURIED THY HUSBAND
Text: Acts 5:9
9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
1. THE DEDICATION OF BARNABAS (VS. 4:36-37)
36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus, 37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
A. The Source
24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
B. The substance – Selfless generosity
C. The Sell
2. THE DECEIT OF ANANIAS (VS. 1-2)
1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, 2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
A. What the thought
B. What they sought
1. Public recognition without personal sacrifice or commitment.
2. They witnessed the response to Barnabas’ selfless gift. The seed of sin was planted. Together they conceived a plan to get recognition and spiritual status.
C. What they brought
1. Even though Ananias was tempted by Satan to sin, he was still responsible for choosing to sin and lie to the Holy Spirit. God had not required him to give all the money. The weight of the penalty of sin fell on him and his wife.
2. They bought public shame, and discipline from God with the money they kept back or embezzled from God.
3. THE DECLARATION OF THE APOSTLES (VS. 3-4)
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
A. Precise discernment
B. Powerful discourse
4. THE DEATH OF ANANIAS AND SAPPHIRA (VS. 5-10)
5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. 6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him. 7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in. 8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much. 9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out. 10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband. 11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.
A. Death was immediate
B. Distraction was certain
C. Dread was the results