Summary: The meaning of "God is light" and implications of "walk in the light."
INTRO.: My grandmother had a canary. She loved to hear it sing. She would talk to it and care for it very carefully and then would sit by the window and listen to it sing. However, the bird didn’t know when to shut up. It would stay awake and sing all night. She said it was because she kept a night light on. In order to get the canary to sleep, she would cover its cage with a heavy clothe and block out the light. Of course, she never really knew it was asleep, but at least it was quiet as long as it was in the dark. Mind you, the light was always there, but the canary never knew about it because it was covered.
I think it must be that way with a lot of Christians. The light of God’s wonder and glory is there, but they have covered themselves with darkness and never really know the glory and joy of God’s salvation.
The Scripture says our God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. That being the case, we need to walk in the light. I want to think about what that means.
I. God is light. What does this entail? What is the writer talking about when he says "God is light?"
A. First, it refers to the glory and majesty of God:
1. The glory of Jehovah appeared as a consuming fire. Ex. 24:17. He dwells in unapproachable light. I Tim. 6:16
B. It refers to God’s revelation of Himself: He enlightens those who will heed Him.
3. He brings to light our innermost thoughts, our hopes, and our sins. Heb. 4:12, 13
C. Light signifies His purity and holiness:
1. Remember the terror God’s purity caused Isaiah when he encountered him. Isa. 6:5
2. There is no hidden sin in God.
A. Worship God, for He is a glorious Savior:
1. He has called us out of darkness into His marvelous light. I Pet. 2:9. What a privilege to walk with Him.
2. "Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness." Ps. 29:2
3. God is deserving of our worship because of His holiness and glory, if for nothing else.
B. Understand God. He has enlightened us about His nature and will.
2. He wants His light to shine in our hearts, so He can give knowledge.
3. Read His Word and trust Him. Let the light shine into your heart! II Cor. 4:6
C. Live in holiness and purity. Do not participate in the things men are afraid to do in daylight.
1. Only mold and fungus grows in the dark. Fruit bearing plants need light. If we live in the dark, we will bear no fruit for Jesus. The good things are fruit of the light. Eph. 5:8-10