Summary: We are living in a time when evil is being glorified as good, and good is vilified.
The Christian is in a daily battle with the three-fold enemy of the soul: Flesh, World, Devil.
We also fight the same battle for our children.
This passage tells us we are in a battle against dark, demonic forces all around us.
We are living in a time when evil is being glorified as good, and good is vilified.
- Children in schools are discouraged from prayer and bible reading, but encouraged to blindly accept that science has answers to the origins of life.
- Christianity is defamed as radical, and Islam is lauded as foundational for our nation.
- Traditional families are mocked, and “alternative lifestyles” are celebrated.
Al Mohler has described, a “massive moral revolution” happening in our nation.
- What once was lauded as virtuous is now considered heinous.
- What once was considered heinous is now lauded as virtuous.
Isaiah 5:20 “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!”
We are in a daily battle, not only with our own sinful desires, but with a culture which is actively opposed to the God we serve — and by extension actively opposed to us.
John 15:18-19 “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.  If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.”
Question: Am I am conspiracy theorist? Yes. I believe there is a conspirator: Satan.
1 Peter 5:8 “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”
Because we will be fighting this battle AND equipping our children for the battle, the Bible gives us an outline of the things which we need for the fight; Paul likens this to the armor worn by the soldiers of his day.
I. WE NEED PROTECTIVE GEAR
A. Breastplate represents our battle with guilt — keep the righteousness of Christ in our heart
- We are not righteous in ourselves; we are righteous because of the work of Christ
- Satan attacks our unrighteousness, and we must cling to Christ as our advocate
B. Helmet represents the battle with doubt—we keep our salvation in our mind
- Christianity is not a mere intellectual exercise; but it does begin in our mind
- We must have the mental confidence of who Jesus is and what He has done
C. Shield represents our battle with the devil — stand behind the faith which God has given us
- The world is constantly throwing flaming arrows in our direction (mocking, scorn, hatred)
- Our faith is the barrier which keeps those arrows from piercing us
II. WE NEED A WEAPON
A. Sword represents our offensive tool — battle our enemy not with our wisdom, but God’s Word
- The worst thing that people believe is that our battles must be fought with philosophy
- When faced with the Devil’s temptations, Jesus said, “It is written…”