Summary: The Lamb has taken the scroll, The Title deed to creation, The price to redeem creation was paid 2000 years ago, But, Now the time is ripe. The Lamb breaks the seals to the deed And as He does things begin to happen. We see the Four Horsemen.
A. The Lamb has taken the scroll
1. The Title deed to creation
2. The price to redeem creation was paid 2000 years ago
3. But, Now the time is ripe
B. The Lamb breaks the seals to the deed
1. And as He does things begin to happen
2. The first four seals reveal the four horsemen of the Apocalypse
C. This morning, let's take a close look at these horsemen
1. Turn to Revelation 6:1 & 2
A. The first horseman - the Antichrist
I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!" (2) I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.
1. The very first question we must try to answer is, "Who is this horseman?
a. We have a quite a few clues
(1) First, he rides a white horse
(a) Let's look at other instances of white horses in the Scriptures
(b) There are mentioned in Zechariah, white horses; but, their meaning is rather obscure, except that all four color horses are mentioned
(c) But, a white horse in mentioned in Revelation 19:11 and the meaning of this horse is in no way obscure
I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war.
(d) If we read on to verse 16, we will see without a doubt that this horseman is Jesus Christ
His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. (13) He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. (14) The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. (15) Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. (16) On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
(e) One might conclude that the rider on the white horse then is Christ; but, there are differences between the rider in chapter 19 and the rider in chapter 6
b. The differences
(1) The rider in chapter 6 is given a crown as He goes out to conquer
(a) This is the Stephanos crown
(b) Not the rulers crown; but, a conqueror's crown
(2) The rider in chapter 19 already has many crowns
(a) And these are diadems, Kings crowns
(3) The rider in chapter 6 has a bow which is strictly a weapon of war
(4) While the rider in chapter 19 has a sword, the sword of His mouth, which is the word of God
(5) In every passage where John sees and describes the Lord, there is no question as to who John is describing
(a) The lion of the tribe of Judah
(b) The lamb that was slain
(c) The Lord of Lords and King of Kings
(6) But, the rider in chapter 6 is not clearly identified
c. Because there are many difference and because of the many other things which follow, we can conclude that the rider in chapter 6 is a pretender
(1) A counterfeit of Christ
(2) An Antichrist
2. John is called to heaven and he sees the one on the throne and the one who claims the Title deed to creation and as soon as Christ takes the scroll, He begins to break the seals and the very first event is the revelation of the rider on the white horse, the counterfeit Christ - the Antichrist
a. Let's turn for a moment to Matthew 24:3 ff
As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?" (4) Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. (5) For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ, ' and will deceive many.
(1) Jesus' disciples are asking the Lord for something concerning the signs of the coming of the end on this dispensation
(2) And the very first thing Jesus mentions is the Antichrists
(a) There has been Antichrists in the world since the very first