Summary: We can have no other friend like Jesus
The Friendship of Christ
October 24, 1999
I. Life with Abigail
A. Lots of supervision and clean up
1. Abigail seems to be able to get into anything and everything
2. Abigail seems to want to know everything
3. Abigail does sometimes make large messes – On herself and all around her
4. Life with Abigail is never dull
B. One special moment
1. Abigail shared her list of best friends – Two names were absent from that list
2. Are Mommy and Daddy you’re friends?
3. “Mommy and Daddy are my bestest friends”
II. What is a friend?
1. Friendship definitions
a.) One who multiplies joy and divides grief
b.) One who understands our silence
c.) A volume of sympathy bound in cloth
d.) A watch that beats true and never runs down
e.) Winner - A friend is one who comes in when the whole world has gone out
2. Another Great Definition
a.) A friend is one who knows where you are, understands where you’ve been, accepts who you’ve become and still gently invites you to grow.
b.) Prosperity begets friends, adversity proves them
c.) Friends are like good health; you don’t realize what a gift they are until you lose them.
B. Why is friendship so important?
1. Friends make life complete
2. Friendship allows us to be ourselves without fear or despair
3. Friendship gives us a glimpse of the love of God
I. What does it mean to be a friend?
A. By Friendship you mean the greatest love, the greatest usefulness, the most open communication, the noblest sufferings, the severest truth, the heartiest counsel, and the greatest union of minds of which brave men and women are capable – Jeremy Taylor
B. Common Ground
1. When you are with people, be aware of their likes and dislikes
2. Remember friend’s birthdays and anniversaries
3. Take interest in and cultivate relationships with your friend’s children
4. Become need sensitive
5. Keep in touch by phone
6. Express what you like about your relationship with another person
7. Serve your friends in thoughtful, unexpected ways
C. Valentine’s Day
1. Young Boy was always left out
a.) He insisted that his mother purchase enough paper, glue and special crayons; so he could make a valentine for all of the children in his class
b.) Each night the boy made another Valentine and continued until he was done
2. Valentine’s Day
a.) The boy gathered up all of his Valentine’s and went to school
b.) His mother baked his favorite cookies and had them ready for when he arrived home
3. Not one
a.) The boy came home empty handed. The mother choked back tears
b.) As the boy entered the door he kept saying “Not one”, “Not one’
c.) The boy then added – I didn’t forget a one, not a single one!”
II. What does it mean to have a friend?
A. Nothing in the world is friendlier than a wet dog – Dan Bennett
B. Psychology Today Survey
1. More than 40,000 Americans – What qualities are most valued in a friend?
a.) The ability to keep confidences
c.) Warmth and affection
C. “I once told my old man, ‘Nobody likes me’. He said, ‘Don’t say that – everybody hasn’t met you yet.” – Rodney Dangerfield