Summary: Joy is something that too many of us are missing out on in life.
• SLIDE #1
• Have you ever been around a person who no matter what is going on around them, seem to be calm and peaceful?
• These people seem to have something that is special about them.
• As you look at them, you wish that you could deal with life’s problems with the same attitude.
• We run around in a panic or we get angry at every little thing that goes wrong, yet we see them not get upset about it.
• How many times have you been in the midst of a great day only to have one little thing happen that seems to steal the day from you, you go from having a wonderful day to having a terrible day in an instant.
• How would you like to be able to handle anything that comes at you without falling apart or getting upset? How would you like to have that special something that other people around you seem to have?
• Last week we started looking at the fruit of the Spirit, we started out with the fruit of love.
• These fruits that we are examining are part of what grows within us as a result of the Holy Spirit residing in us after we give our lives to Christ.
• As we grow and mature in Christ, these gifts become more and more evident in our lives.
• Today we are going to look at the second fruit of the Spirit, joy!
• This is a fruit that once we taste it, we will never get enough of it.
Let us start off by looking at:
I. WHAT IS THE FRUIT OF JOY?
• Have you ever gone to the store and walked through the fruit section and saw some fruit of which you had no idea what it was? You had to read the sign to figure out what it was.
• When you think of the word “joy” what comes to mind? What is it, and what does it look like? Do you think of watching your children do something that makes you proud? Getting to spend time with your grandchildren?
• When you think of joy, do you think of good things that happen in life?
• SLIDE #3
1. Joy defined
• Joy is the inward peace that is not affected by circumstances.
• When you posses the fruit of joy in your life, you are not dependant on circumstances in order to keep it.
• Look at a couple of verses of scripture with me.
• SLIDE #4
• James tells us we are to consider it all joy when we face various trials. Since joy is not dependent on circumstances, we can possess it in the midst of trials.
• Why can we possess joy in the midst of trials?
• SLIDE #5
• James 1:3 - 4 (quickview)  (NASB) 3knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
• We can have joy when we face difficulties because we know the difficulties will produce some good things in our lives. We know that God will work things out for us
• Let us look at another passage.
• SLIDE #6
• Hebrews 10:34 (quickview)  (NASB) 34For you showed sympathy to the prisoners and accepted joyfully the seizure of your property, knowing that you have for yourselves a better possession and a lasting one.
• The people were able to have joy because they knew something better was coming.