Summary: Death will eventually come to each one. The question is: How can we face death with courage?
November 6, 2002
A. Condolences to the Pistola family and friends
B. Reasons for our gathering:
1) To pay our tribute to our friend Rebecca
2) To share our memories about her
3) To learn valuable lessons from her life and how we can apply them in our daily life
4) To comfort one another in this time of grief and sorrow
5) To celebrate and thank God for the life that He has given to Rebecca
6) Most importantly, we are here to reflect on life itself.
A. Realities of life and death that we need to reflect upon
1) Life is short
a) Nike commercial: Life is short! Just do it!
b) Moses reflection on life—Psalm 90:5-6
c) James reflection on life—James 4:13-14
d) Death clock.com
1. Sadistic life—Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2002
2. Pessimistic—Thursday, Oct. 2, 2025
3. Normal—Sunday, Nov. 25, 2040
4. Optimistic—Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2052
2) Life will have an end
a) Death comes to everyone; everywhere
b) Genesis 3:19
e) How life will end for us? We can never predict
1. Tragic accident
2. Sniper’s bullet
3. Long illness
4. Collapse of World Twin Centers
5. Silent killer—heart disease
6. Death in our sleep
3) Death comes when we least expect it
a) Rebecca’s death came at the prime of her life
b) Blaise Pascal wrote, “One needs no great sublimity of soul to realize that in this life there is no true and solid satisfaction, that all our pleasures are mere vanity, that our afflictions are infinite, and finally that death…threatens us at every moment.”
c) Illus.—man killed for breaking a fight.
4) Death is never a happy ending
a) Regardless of the circumstances on how the person died, death always brings grief and sorrow.
b) No matter how fruitful the person had lived his life, death is still an enemy that we abhor.
c) Regardless of the pains and the problems that we may be facing on a daily basis, death is never a welcome solution.
5) We can face death with full courage
B. How to face death with full courage?
1) Number our days aright
a) In what way?
1. Using the most accurate calendar
2. Use the most expensive watch
3. Literally, we can never number our days.
4. We don’t know when we are going to die
b) Set our priorities right
1. Examples of bad priorities
i. Take life easy
ii. Eat, drink, and be merry
i. Unmerciful servant
ii. Considered his master delayed
iii. Started beating his fellow servants
iv. The master came at an unexpected time
v. Reaped his reward.
2) Remember now our creator—Ecclesiastes 12:1
3) Knowing that my Redeemer lives—Job 19:25
b. Christ’s resurrection is the hope of everyone
4) Be found spotless and blameless—2 Peter 3:10-14
1. Death threatens us in every side
2. It comes to us when we least expect it
3. But we can also face death with full courage through Jesus.