Summary: UNWRAPPING THE GLORY OF CHRISTMAS SHOULD LEAD US TO THE GLORY OF CHRISTMAS CONTENTMENT.
The Glory of Christmas Contentment
December 12, 2010
That we've unwrapped thus far.
* The Glory of Christmas is greater than anything we've ever imagined it to be.
* The Glory leads us to Jesus the Reflection of everything that God is and celebrates what he has done.
* The Reality of that Glory reveals that there was nothing more he could have done to demonstrate love.
* That truth leads us to the Glory of Christmas Contentment.
Though Chirstmas should lead to contentment for many if is filled with stressors that often they rob us of some of that Holiday Spirit and Joy. For instance
Should the tree be real or fake?
Politically Correct Solution: Live tree, planted after use
Male Solution: Fake tree, discarded after use
Female Solution: Grow tree in house, adorned with fruits
Reality: Fake tree stays up until May, adorned with furballs
Should the tree be topped with an angel or a star?
Politically Correct Solution: Gender-neutral angel; no submissive female stereotype
Male Solution: Beautiful Blonde Barbie-like Angel,
Female Solution: Angel beneath a beautiful star explaining the true meaning of Christmas
Reality: Whatever you can fits on top of the tree without tipping it over.
The Testy Tangle of Tinsel
Politically Correct Solution: Biodegradable stands of tinsel made from recycled materials
Male Solution: Six large clumps of tinsel on front of tree
Female Solution: Each icicle hangs like strand of spaghetti
Reality: More icicles on floor than on tree
What about gifts on Christmas morning?
Politically Correct Solution: Gifts given in your name to Charities.
Male Solution: Whatever was on the display closet to the door when you shopped on Christmas Eve.
Female Solution: Beautifully wrapped carefully picked out Christmas Gifts purchased on Sale
Reality: Doesn't matter it's going back on the 26th anyway
Okay maybe those are not the indicative of your struggle with Christmas. But if we are not careful, rather than discovering the Glory of Contentment, Christmas adds stress to our lives and for some ends in discontentment.
T.S. While it is not true that Suicides increase at Christmas, rather they increase throughout the winter season. The Christmas Holiday which should lead us to the Glory of Contentment remains for many an undiscovered truth.
UNWRAPPING THE GLORY OF CHRISTMAS SHOULD LEAD US TO THE GLORY OF CHRISTMAS CONTENTMENT.
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
I. The Glory Christmas Contentment is a Secret
12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
A. Key Word -- Learn
1. That it is learned implies you know of it but not know it
* Possible to journey through life and never discover it.
* Possible to
2. That he declares now that he has learned it implies a turning point.
* Day when he had it and a day when he didn't.
B. Key word -- Content
1. sufficient for one's self, strong enough or processing enough to need no aid or support
* To not need any more help
* To possess the ability to
2. independent of external circumstances
3. contented with one's lot, with one's means, though the slenderest
from the verb
1. arkeo -- primarily signifies "to be sufficient, to be possessed of sufficient strength, to be strong, to be enough for a thing"; hence,
2. "to defend, ward off"; in the middle voice,
II. The Glory of Christmas Contentment can be Misunderstood.
vv. 11-12 . . .for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
A. Not related to Circumstances
Christmas is not the promise that the Whatsoevers of Life will be easy.
Circumstances are Circumstances -- They change throughout our lives yet somehow the Glory of Christmas has become a half hearted wish for Good, or Easy or Comfortable circumstances in the coming year. The Glory of Christmas is not a verse on a card wishing us a happy new year.