Summary: 1. Man Displays Glory 2. God Displays Glory 3. Omnipotent Power 4. Glorious Power 5. Righteous Power 6. Legal Power 7. Glorify His Power
The Glory Of God
Colossians 1:16 (AV)
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
1. Man Displays Glory
- 4th of July we celebrate with fireworks
- NYC attracts 2 million people
- Manmade celestial light
- We are mesmerized with the blast of light
- Burst of scattered colors & the boom of explosion
- Average diameter 2-4 in.
- Traveling at 125-300 ft/s
- Greatest height of a firework – 1000-1300 ft.
- Weight .5 lb. – 30 lb.
- Burst 90-360 ft.
- We Ooh & Aw at the display of fireworks more than the glory of God.
2. God Displays Glory
- The moon rises about 240,000 miles above the earth
- That’s 500,000 times higher than the highest fireworks
- Diameter of moon 2,160 miles (from San Francisco to Cleveland)
- It travels at about 2,300 miles per
- It weighs 81 quintillion tons (3 zeroes more than a trillion).
- It has mountain ranges with peaks almost as high as Mt. Everest.
- It has empty seas 750 miles across
- Craters 146 miles wide and 20,000 feet deep.
- The power of the moon is unimaginable.
- Nothing on earth that man has ever made can compare.
- Every day the moon takes the oceans of the earth, and lifts them quietly
- Millions upon millions upon millions of tons of water
- Quietly and irresistibly into the air.
- In Boston, the tide recedes 10 feet
- In Eastport, Maine it recedes 19 feet
- In Nova Scotia, in the Bay of Fundy, the tides vary up to 43 feet.
- Late in 2009 we witnessed the largest explosion ever recorded
- A super giant star two hundred times bigger than the sun utterly obliterated itself
- It’s galaxy is 1.6 billion light years from earth
- Still visible 2 years later
- With perfect eyesight you might be able to count 9,000 stars
- Our galaxy the Milky Way has 300 billion stars
- Number of galaxies = 300-500 billion
- There are 10x multiple stars for every grain of sand on earth
What has this to do with the Glory of God?
- Have we found God not to be impressive and not to be feared?
3. Omnipotent Power
Psalm 147:4–5 (AV)
4 He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names.
5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.
Isaiah 40:12 (AV)
12 Who “He” hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted (gauge/estimate) out heaven with the span (measured the universe between his thumb and little finger), and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure (a cup), and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?
4. Glorious Power
Exodus 24:10,17 (AV)
10 And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.
Exodus 24:17 (AV)
17 And the sight of the glory of the LORD was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel.
5. Righteous Power
Deuteronomy 4:24 (AV)
24 For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.
Deuteronomy 9:3 (AV)
3 Understand therefore this day, that the LORD thy God is he which goeth over before thee; as a consuming fire he shall destroy them, and he shall bring them down before thy face: so shalt thou drive them out, and destroy them quickly, as the LORD hath said unto thee.
Hebrews 12:29 (AV)
29 For our God is a consuming fire.
6. Legal Power
- Before Him we will give an account of our lives
Romans 14:11–12 (AV)
11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
7. Glorify His Power
- The account has been paid for at the cross
- It was the blood of Christ