Summary: If We Really Believe This, Our Worries Are Over. There’s a lot of gloom and doom in our world today. As a Christian it is easy to develop an unbiblical fear that can govern our actions because we’re only putting our trust in what we see.
Scripture: John 6:1 – 14
Title: “THE GOD OF MORE THAN ENOUGH!”
Introduction: If We Really Believe This, Our Worries Are Over. There’s a lot of gloom and doom in our world today. As a Christian it is easy to develop an unbiblical fear that can govern our actions because we’re only putting our trust in what we see.
Imagine for a moment that you are the disciple Philip. You and your fellow disciples are sitting with Jesus on a mountainside and you’re watching a large crowd make their way up toward you. You’re tired from rigorous days of ministry. And you’re hungry. This crowd’s arrival probably means a meal is not in your near future. You’re trying not to resent them.
DIVINE ATTRACTION – “And a great multitude followed him, because they saw his miracles
Which He did on them that were diseased.” V.2
· Building the Kingdom of God means doing the Work of the King!
· People will follow the Work of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ!
· It doesn’t matter what kind of building, location, people are desperate to have their needs met!
THE TEST – “Whence shall we buy bread, that these may eat?” v.5 - 6
“And this he said to prove him: for he himself knew what he would do.”
· Phillip answers in the natural. / A quick summary indicates 5,000 people.
· “It will take a small fortune to feed all these people!” (Eight months wages for an average worker / A denarii is a days wages)
· A “Test” is designed to draw out something from you!
· A “Test” is designed to evaluate you.
· A “Test” is designed to develop you.
NEVER DESPISE SMALL BEGINNINGS! v.9 “A little boy’s lunch” / Zec. 4:10 NLT
· Andrew had only discovered a little boy with his lunch in his hand!
· Andrew had at the very least been looking around for a solution!
· Even Andrew recognized this was not enough! (In the natural!)
· Let us never forget the “Mustard Seed” principle! (Largest Garden Plant) Mt. 13:32
· 2 Kgs. 4:2 “The Pot of Oil” / Ex. 4:1- 4 “The Rod of Moses” / 1 Sam. 17 “David and Goliath” / N.T. “The Baby Jesus” – The Savior of the World!
PREPARATION FOR THE PROMISE! “Obedience To The Word – Jesus!”
· Jesus TOOK CHARGE! (This is when Great things began to happen!)
· v.10 “Make the men sit down” / Lean back – Prepare to eat!
· Even the surroundings were comfortable, (Much Grass!)
YOU’RE IN GOOD HANDS WITH JESUS! v.11 “Jesus Took The Loaves”
· This act of obedience came about by TRUST – EXPECTATION – NEED!
· We FACE this Challenge at this very moment!
· You could very well say, “What Have I Got To Lose?” / Couldn’t you?
· Follow that up with, “What Have I Got To Gain?”
· Ask these questions in Light of this Scripture.
MULTIPLICATION – “Engaging The Eternal”
· Jesus gave THANKS for the “Little Boy’s Lunch!”
· You’re going to have to use your “Christian Imagination” here.
· Look at the sequence here, “Putting the Food into the Hands of Jesus” / “Then Jesus Blesses the Food” / “Then Jesus ‘Gives’ the Food to the Disciples” / Then the Disciples “Give” the Food to the Hungry People!
· Somewhere MULTIPLICATION occurred! – “WHERE?”