Summary: But the message of this parable applies to the lost sinners of today. • And that message is that God still says, “All things are now ready. Come!” • Nothing else needs to be done it’s all been taken care of • I took care of all the preparation for the party
Have you ever been blessed by being one of the privileged
• Where you have been able to do something most others can’t?
Read Luke 14 The Parable of the Great Feast
• Being Blessed is how this story starts out
• A man makes a comment that what a blessing it’s going to be
• To be able to attend a Banquet in the Kingdom of God (ELAB on that event)
But Jesus informs him that not everyone looks at it this way
• And this is how the story plays out
In Jesus’ day when you invited someone to dinner,
• You told them the day but not the exact hour of the meal.
• A host had to know how many people were coming
• So he could butcher the right amount of animals and prepare enough food.
And when all the cooking and prep work was done
• The host would send his servants out to fetch the guests
• Tell em to get a move on the party’s getting ready to start
But in this story Jesus tells us that even though these people knew that there was a party on this day
• They made other plans
• Instead of being excited about going to the party
• They had made other plans that they felt were more important
In other words, each of the guests in this parable
• Had already agreed to attend the banquet.
• And the host expected them to be there.
• And the excuses they gave were weak and didn’t make any sense
The first man had bought some property and said he needed to go check it out
• In the East when you bought property it was a long complicated process
• This man would have had plenty of opportunities to check the property out before he bought it
• Because anyone who buys something without checking it out is always taking a chance
• Furthermore since most banquets are held at night
• The man would have been dealing with the problem of limited light to check out the property- He wouldn’t have been able to see
The 2nd man said that he had just bought 10 oxen and wanted to try them out
• Again 2 key facts go along with the 1st man’s excuse
• 1st it was late in the day and the sun would have been going down
• Not giving him ample time to really check em out
• And 2nd who would go buy 10 oxen without making sure that they could pull
• Kind of like buying a truck with a blown up engine
• It just doesn’t make any sense.
And this brings us to the 3rd man
• We claims he can’t come because now he has a wife
• Some might ask why wouldn’t he just bring his wife?
• Well in those days if you got invited to a banquet it was for men only,
• You didn’t bring the wife, the girl friend, a date,
• Because only Jewish men were invited to banquets,
• The host didn’t expect the wife to come anyway
But there’s more to this
• The process of getting married in those days was quite an event-ELAB
• So when the man received his invitation and RSVP’d-