Summary: The love of God to mankind demonstrated through the person of Jesus Christ is the greatest love ever demonstrated. God gave His only begotten son, and Jesus laid down His life for our sins. No love could be greater.
THE GREATEST LOVE
Study Text: John 3: 16
- The biggest lie ever told to humanity is that God doesn’t care about you or your problems. That is a lie from Satan himself that he has spread for generation.Gen 3: 4 – 5.
- And for generation people have said “God doesn’t care” and he doesn’t understand how miserable my life is, but he does.
- The wrath of God has not fallen upon us, but on Jesus at his cross. Our savior absorbed into himself the judgement we deserve.
- Now we receive what we don’t deserve, our Father’s compassion and his gift of eternal life.
- The topic of God’s love is truly an overwhelming subject to try and tackle in only one message. There is so much that the Bible has to say about the love of God that no one has ever come close to fully comprehending it.
- From this one verse we can find at least six truths about the love of God.
1. THE LOVE OF GOD IS UNCONDITIONAL. For God so loved the world,
- The world is the whole mass of men alienated from God and therefore hostile to the cause of Christ.
- This is the world that God loved. It doesn’t say that God loved all the good people. Or that God loved all the saints. It says, “For God so loved the world.”
- So God’s love clearly isn’t based on our spiritual condition or our moral predisposition.
- It isn’t based on our behavior or our attitude toward him. Rather we see here that God’s love for mankind is universal and unconditional. He loves everyone.
- An unconditional love that we call grace, grace is all about God and God freely giving to us the gifts of forgiveness, mercy and love.
- So God’s love for us is unconditional. There is nothing we can do to make God love us more. There is nothing we can do to make God love us less.
- But this doesn’t mean that a person can continue in sin and please God, God’s love helps us to turn from sin. Rom 6: 1
2. THE LOVE OF GOD IS SACRIFICIAL; he gave
- God shows us that true love has nothing to do with what you can do for God, but everything to do with what God can do for you.
- And what are the results of God’s sacrificial love?
- When we repent and turn to God our sin is forgiving and transformed from us to Jesus who paid the price for our forgiveness. John 15:13-14
Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends.
3. THE LOVE OF GOD IS VALUABLE.
- Here we see the value of the Father’s love for us. Not only was he willing to give, but we see here that he was willing to give his best.
- When you give to someone out of your abundance that is one thing, but when you give out of your poverty that is quite another.
- When what you give is a sacrifice it is pleasing to God. How many times have you heard or even said yourself: “I can’t give you that because it’s the only one I’ve got.” We’ve probably all said that.
- But we learn here that God didn’t have a backup, God didn’t have a spare. But he loved us so much that he was willing to give us Jesus.
4. GOD’S LOVE IS PERSONAL.
- God’s love is not merely some concept. It isn’t just a philosophy or a theological thought.
- God’s love was made manifest in this world through the person of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ came into this world to reveal to us the love of God in human form.
- God’s love is personal, because it was made manifest through a person – Jesus Christ – but also because it is bestowed on a person – you.
- There are many reasons God saves you: to bring glory to himself, to appease his justice, to demonstrate his sovereignty. But one of the sweetest reasons God saved you is because he loves you.
5. GOD’S LOVE IS ACCESSIBLE that whoever believes in him
- The really good news about God’s love is that it is not limited to a selected few. It is not available only to those who were born with right colour of skin or on the correct continent.
- Nor is it difficult to obtain. It is not reserved for only the intellectual elite or the power brokers or financial wizards. The love of God is accessible to “whoever believes in” Jesus – the only Son of God.
- God’s love is so immense that he wants to come down. And he has proven his love by the fact that he did come down and gave His life for ours.