Summary: The Life and ministry of John the Baptist
THE GREATEST MAN
Luke 3: 1-20; 7:28
INTRODUCTIONœ: Consider what it means to be GREAT.
A. Greatness Defined: Important, Notable, Renown,
B. Greatness Desired
· Matthew 20:20-21 - The mother of James & John asked that her sons be given a prominent place in the kingdom
· Mark 10:35-37 - James & John request a place of prominence for themselves in the Kingdom.
· Acts 8:18-19 - Simon the Sorcerer attempts to buy the power of God.
C. Greatness Determined:
· By the world - Family; Finances; Fame
· By God - Demonstrated by John the Baptist
+ Luke 3:2-3 Be obedient to God’s Word
+ Luke 1:15 - Be filled with the Spirit
+ Luke 3:16 - Be humble
+ Luke 3:4-9 - Faithfully proclaim the Word
+ Luke 1:16 - Win people to Christ.
I. THE MAN (Luke 3:2)
A. The Prophecies concerning his coming.
· Isaiah 40:3 - "A voice of one calling: `In the desert prepare the way for the Lord make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.’
· Malachi 3:1 - "See, I will send my messenger who will prepare the way before Me."
B. The Promise concerning his coming. (Luke 1:11-20)
C. The Parents to whom he was born. (Luke 1:5-10)
D. The Provision of his name. (Luke 1:13. 57-66)
E. The Prophesying at his birth. (Luke 1:67-79)
F. The Preparation for his ministry. (Luke 1:80)
G. The Personality that he possessed. (Matthew 3:4)
II. HIS MINISTRY (Luke 3:1)
A. The Time of his ministry (Luke 3:1-2)
· 15th year of Tiberius’ reign 26 AD.
· Pontius Pilate, governor of Judah
· Herod (son of Herod the Great), rulling in Galilee
· Philip (Herod’s brother), rulling Iturea & Traconitis
· Lysanias, ruling Abilene
· Annas, High Priest deposed by Rome, but still recognized by the Jews
· Caiaphas, Annas’ son-in-law, official High Priest
B. The Place of his ministry
· Luke 3: 3 = in the desert
· Matthew 3:5-6 = the region of the Jordan River
· John 1:28 = Bethabara, on the other side of Jordan
· John 3:23 = Aenon, because there was much water there
C. The Purpose of his ministry
· Luke 3:4-6 = to prepare the way for the Lord
· John 1:6-8 = to bear witness to the Light, that all men would believe in Him
D. The Extent of His ministry
· Luke 3:7 = the crowds
· Matthew 3:5 = people...from Jerusalem, all Judea, an the whole region of the Jordan
· Acts 18:24 = Apollos, a Jew from Alexandria, Egypt knew the baptism of John
E. The Symbol of his ministry
· Luke 3:3 = a baptism of repentance
III. HIS MESSAGE (Luke 3:2-18)
A. Repentance is imperative, and must be demonstrated in life.
· Luke 3:3, 8 = "He went…preaching…repentance for the forgiveness of sin...Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.
· Matthew 3:2 = "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."
B. The Kingdom of God is ready to appear. (Matthew 3:2)
C. Sin is serious, widespread, and must be forsaken.
+ "You brood of vipers"
+ "Out of these stone God can raise up children for Abraham -.
" Don’t depend on human ancestry
+ "The ax is already at the root..." = judgment is certain
+ v. 11 - don’t be selfish
+ v. 13 - don’t cheat
+ v. 14 - don’t be oppressive
D. The Messiah is among men.
· Luke 3:15-18 - John preached of Messiah’s: