Summary: This is a message that is hard to preach but ever so necessary. Hell is going to overtake those who have not been warned.
THE GREATEST QUESTION OF LIFE
TEXT: Mark 8:36-37
Mark 8:36-37 KJV For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
I. INTRODUCTION—THE MOST FOOLISH IMPLICATION OF ALL
-Over the last several years there have been a lot of books written about heaven. Some of those books have even become movies. It has pushed the idea of heaven to the forefront of American society and people are thinking about heaven.
-But with all of these books and movies there seems to be an alarming implication—everyone will be saved and no one will be lost and go to hell.
• Is this really true?
• Is this what the Bible teaches?
• Is this what Jesus taught?
• Is this the idea that the apostles understood that Jesus said?
• Are all people really going to be saved in the end no matter what they did or how they lived their lives on this earth?
-I believe this is one of the most foolish implications that has ever been put before our society.
II. WHAT EVENTS ARE CONFIRMED BY THE BIBLE?
-If that idea that all will be saved no matter what, then there are some very serious doctrines in Scripture that from the beginning to the end of the Bible will have to come to nothing.
• The Rapture
• The Judgment Seat of Christ
• The Great White Throne of Judgement
• The Marriage Supper of the Lamb
• The Millennial Reign of Jesus Christ
• The Tribulation
• The Antichrist
-All of these are solid biblical doctrines. Many of them have their origin in the Old Testament and then they are magnified in the New Testament. All of these doctrines are ones that the church in ages past have held dear to them.
• Matthew 24-25—The Olivet Discourse
• Daniel 7-12—A picture of the Last Days and how it will unfold
• 1 Corinthians 15—The Resurrection
• 1 Thessalonians 4—The Rapture
• 2 Thessalonians 2—The Antichrist
• Revelation 1-22—The grand portrait of the finale of the battle between God and evil
-All of these matters are clearly defined by the Bible. But because our society and even the church has such a low level knowledge of Scripture, these great doctrines and events that are noted throughout Scripture, many people are largely unfamiliar to them.
-Far too many have the idea that the Bible is a book that you reach in a pull a verse from here and another one from there to serve as a bit of hope in times of difficulty and trouble. When your approach to the Bible is like that it is about like trying to read a novel, a biography, or a textbook with a page here and a page there. If you are preparing for a test in that way, you can be assured you will fail that test.
-Of all of the great doctrines of Scripture that has been lost in the mix is the one concerning the doctrine of hell. It has especially taking a beating in the last 40 years as the humanistic ideas have prevailed in our world. Men who are so-called intellectuals cannot really lower themselves to think that a loving God would send men to hell.