Summary: Look at the Great Comission
Today is week five of our study of the Great Commission found in Matthew 28:18-20.
It’s where Jesus said---Go and make disciples,
In fact—let’s read it together this morning.
All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Those were some of the final words of Jesus---his plan, his instructions for His followers to accomplish the purpose of God on this planet.
A little review:
Week 1—The Greatest Omission of the Church is this verse. If we are to be the church----of the Bible, the church God wants, we must be about these things.
Week 2--We looked at the greatest need---obedience. It’s not enough to have knowledge---but we must put into practice what we know. God is not impressed with us memorizing his instructions----what he desires is for us to live them.
Week 3 was the Greatest Direction. We are told to make disciples as we go. Everywhere we go. Whenever we go. Everytime we go—anywhere we have potential to impact people to be followers, disciples of Jesus. It is for everyone---not just those who go to Africa, or China. It’s for us-as we go to the store, to work, to school, to the club, to the field, to our homes. The best direction to make disciples is the one we are pointed in.
Week 4 was the Greatest Connection—baptism. We just saw people this morning---experience that born again connection to God. Clothed with Christ, connected to his death, burial and resurrection.
And this morning—Week 5—we look at the Greatest sustainer.
Jesus made it clear that the plan was not finished at the connecting point. WE are making followers---not joiners. If we have a joining mentality—then just getting people baptized finishes the process for us. But if we are following God’s plan, and making disciples, followers, then the process after baptism is what sustains the energy of the follower. And the participation of old followers with new followers is the plan Jesus laid out.
So this morning—we want to look at that phrase---
‘and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”
A lot of studies have been done of the words of Jesus and a lot of people have compiled the commands of Jesus. The number varies of those who have done these studies, but generally falls around the 48-50 number if the Ten Commandments are included which Jesus said he did not come to do away with.
It only takes about 2 minutes to say them all, so we are going to read together this morning---the commands of Jesus. The list I put together does not have the ten commandments in it.
1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your strength Mat 22:37-40
2. Love your neighbor as yourself Matt 22:39
3. Treat others exactly the way you want to be treated in every circumstance. Luke 6:31
5. You must be born again. John 3
6. Abide in me, and let me abide in you. John 8:31
7. Let people see me through your good works. Mtt 11:28
8. End disputes quickly.
9. Whatever causes you to sin—get rid of it. Mark 9:43
10. Don’t swear oaths at all. Matt 5:37
11. Do not return offense for offense. Turn the other cheek.
12. Give what people ask of you, and give more than is required. Matt 5:38
13. Love your enemies and those who work against you. Luke 6:27
14. Give to the poor to please God, not to gain approval from other people. Mat 6:5-6
15. Pray privately and simply, not to impress other people. Matt 6:5
16. Make your prayers like the Model Prayer. Mark 12:40
17. When you fast, do it secretly, not for show. Matt 6:
18. Use your stuff to store treasures in heaven, not on earth. Luke 12
19. Don’t worry about your material needs. Matt 6:25
20. Do not worry about the future. Luke 12
21. Make God the highest priority, and he will take care of all your needs. Matt 6
22. Do not judge other people. Luke 6:37
23. Don’t misuse Holy Things. Matt 7
24. Ask God for whatever you want to have. Seek and find. Luke 12
25. Feed the hungry, clothes the naked, shelter the homeless, comfort those in distress. Matt 25
26. The path is narrow---stay on it. Matt 7
27. Beware of false prophets and teachers. AMtt 24
28. Love little children—do not despise them. Mark 10