Summary: Jonathan had a vision that bridged the gap from defeat to victory.He decided it was time to step out for God, to give God a chance to do something. I hope his example will inspire us too.
THE HALF ACRE THAT MAKES HELL TREMBLE
1 Sam. 14:6-15,23
A. HUMOR: The Sermon-Loving Dog
1. A minister delivered his sermon in ten minutes one Sunday morning, which was about a third of the usual length of his sermons.
2. He explained, “I regret to inform you that my dog, who is very fond of eating paper, ate that portion of my sermon which I was unable to deliver this morning.”
3. After the service a visitor from another church shook hands with the preacher and said, “Preacher, if that dog of yours has any pups, I want to get one to give to my minister.”
B. HAVING FAITH FOR A CAUSE
1. Let the name of Jesus be glorified and hell horrified. Jesus said, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me BECAUSE...". Lk. 4:18. The Spirit comes on those with a CAUSE!
2. There have been attacks on the Church of Jesus worldwide. In the last 10 years, record numbers of Christians have been martyred, courts have over-ruled our belief system, the media has mocked and the atheists have scorned.
3. But remember this, Jesus said, “…on this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Mt. 16:18, KJV.
3. God’s looking today for some hungry people, some excited people, some desperate people -- people with hope, for “Faith is the substance of things hoped for...”
4. If you’re not hoping for anything, then you don't need any faith. We’re going to look at a man who stepped out in faith with God and see how God answered him.
6 Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few.” 7“Do all that you have in mind,” his armor-bearer said. “Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul.” 8 Jonathan said, “Come, then; we will cross over toward the men and let them see us. 9 If they say to us, ‘Wait there until we come to you,’ we will stay where we are and not go up to them. 10 But if they say, ‘Come up to us,’ we will climb up, because that will be our sign that the LORD has given them into our hands.” 11 So both of them showed themselves to the Philistine outpost. “Look!” said the Philistines. “The Hebrews are crawling out of the holes they were hiding in.” 12 The men of the outpost shouted to Jonathan and his armor-bearer, “Come up to us and we’ll teach you a lesson.” So Jonathan said to his armor-bearer, “Climb up after me; the LORD has given them into the hand of Israel.” 13 Jonathan climbed up, using his hands and feet, with his armor-bearer right behind him. The Philistines fell before Jonathan, and his armor-bearer followed and killed behind him. 14 In that first attack Jonathan and his armor-bearer killed some twenty men in an area of about half an acre. 15 Then panic struck the whole army—those in the camp and field, and those in the outposts and raiding parties—and the ground shook. It was a panic sent by God. 23 So the LORD rescued Israel that day, and the battle moved on beyond Beth Aven. 1 Sam. 14:6-15,23.
1. Jonathan had a vision that bridged the gap from defeat to victory. We’re on the brink of great things.
2. It may seem like there’s only 2 of you. Or that you stand alone for the Lord in your family. Fear not, for the Lord’s not hindered to save my many or by few!
3. Jonathan decided it was time to step out for God, to give God a chance to do something. I hope his example will inspire us too.
4. The title to the message this morning is, “The Half Acre That Makes Hell Tremble.”
I. THE EFFECTS OF SIN
A. SIN DIMINISHES YOU
1. Notice the pitiful situation. Here’s a nation with 2 ½ million people who’ve defeated many nations. But the King can only rally 600 soldiers to fight against a potent foe.
2. It wasn’t all Saul; other men should have been standing up & joining forces! Compromise weakened and brought them low.
B. SIN STEALS YOUR PROSPERITY
1. The Philistines ravaged the country. They had 3 large raiding parties that went out and pillaged the region.
2. When we forsake God we open ourselves to satanic attack and open every aspect of our lives to attack.
C. SIN BRINGS FEAR
1. Saul was at Migron (which means "fear"). He wouldn't obey, so his courage waned. His 3,000 soldiers became 600. His warriors were reduced to worriers.