Summary: A Mother's DAy Message.
Someone has written a poem titled:
A. THE HAND THAT ROCKS THE CRADLE
They say that man is mighty
He governs land and sea;
He wields a mighty scepter
On lower powers than he.
But mightier power and stronger
Man from his throne has hurled,
For the hand that rocks the cradle
Is that hand that rules the world.
B. MOTHER POWER
1. Julia Ward Howe, at age ninety-one, said: "We talk of forty horse-power, but if we had forty
mother-power it would be the most wonderful force in the world."
2. Mother's Day is when everybody waits on mother and she pretends she doesn't mind the
3. A Normal Day in the Life of a Mother
She cooked the breakfast first of all,
Washed the cups and plates,
Dressed the children and made sure
socks s all were mates.
Combed their heads and made their beds,
Sent them out to play.
Gathered up their toys,
Put some books away.
Dusted chairs and mopped the stairs,
Ironed an hour or two,
Baked a jar of cookies and a pie,
Then made a stew.
The telephone rang constantly,
The doorbell did the same,
A youngster fell and stubbed his toe,
And then the laundry came.
She picked up blocks and mended socks,
And then she blackened up the stove.
And when her husband came at six
He said: "I admire you!
It is a blessing to come home and see all that you do.
C. PAUL’S ADVICE FOR OLDER MOTHERS
1. An honored position was given to the older mothers of the church.
2. Because they were so honored, Paul gives them some guidelines in Titus 2.
3. They were to have GOOD BEHAVIOR, GOOD WORDS, GOOD HABITS, and GOOD
INFLUENCE. This would result in GOOD FAMILIES.
I. GOOD BEHAVIOR
A. BEHAVE AS BECOMETH HOLINESS
1. Their behavior should fit those who are engaged in sacred things.
2. Literally, this passage states that an older woman should:
BEHAVE AS A PRIESTESS IN A HOLY TEMPLE OF GOD.
3. Your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost.
4. Paul was referring to the reverence and respect which is due to older women.
5. The advice which Paul gives to the older women is advice which they should then give to us all.
B. GRANDMOTHERS and spiritual Moms NEEDED
1. E. F. Brown, was a missionary to India in the old days
2. He noted something concerning the Anglo-Indian society of those days
3. A friend of his was asked: "What is it you most want in India'?."
4. His answer was: "Grandmothers."
5. In the old days there were few older women in Anglo-Indian society.
6. Most of the Anglo women returned to Britain while still fairly young.
7. The scarcity of older women was a serious lack in their society.
8. Mr. Brown also said: "Older women play a very important part in society!"
9. We don’t realize how large a part they play until we witnesses a social life
where they are absent.
10. Brown said, "Kindly grandmothers are the natural advisers of the young of both sexes."
11. The older women with their serenity, sympathy, and understanding have a major part
to play in the life of the Church.
II. GOOD WORDS
A. YOUR WORDS HAVE GREAT POWER
1. A grandmother can have vast influence over her family.
2. When she slanders or criticizes someone, it effects several generations.