Summary: As the physical heart is to our bodies so is our spiritual heart to our leadership ability
THE HEALTHY HEART
(An Outline Study)
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” Oliver Wendell Holmes
1. THE IMPORTANCE OF YOUR HEART
“Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues.” Pro. 4:23
1. A healthy heart is the foundation upon which a blessed life and a fruitful ministry is build. Lk. 6: 43-45
2. Everything in life and ministry flows out of the heart. Pro. 4: 23; Mt. 15: 18-20
3. The heart matters more to the Lord than skill and ability 1 Sam 16: 7
4. Your spiritual health is important and demands your top priority. “As goes the leader, so goes the battle”.
5. You are only strong on the outside as you are on the inside. Pro. 24:10
6. Guard your heart and you guard your life. Pro. 4: 23
7. A healthy leader has a healthy heart and maintains it by undergoing regular “spiritual check-up” Ps. 17: 3, 139: 23-24
2. FIVE ELEMENTS THAT CONTRIBUTE TO A HEALTHY HEART
HONESTY – “So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart, and guided them by the skilfulness of his hands.” Ps. 78: 72
a. Integrity is the strength of leadership. Pro. 10: 9
c. Leadership is established by integrity. 1 Ki. 9:4-5
EMOTIONS – “Whoever has no rule over his own spirit (self-control) is like a city broken down, without walls.” Pro. 25: 28
a. What is the dominating force of your life? Your soul or spirit?
b. How do you live? By faith or feelings?
c. Determining the Answer. Do you rule over your emotions? Are you prone to mood swings? How do you deal with feelings of anger, insecurity and jealousy? How do you handle criticism or correction? Can you stay focused on your life mission? Can you stay passionate about your life mission in the midst of a crisis?
d. How to rule over your soul. (Ps. 103: 1-2)
• Live at the level of your belief not at the level of your feelings. Rom. 4: 18-21
• Consistently submit your soul to the Holy Spirit asking Him to sanctify it and help you have self-control. Gal. 5: 23
ATTITUDES – “Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus…” Phil 2:5
• The difference between winning and losing is “attitude”.
• What is your attitude when you lose / win?
• What is your attitude towards those who don’t agree with your opinion etc?
RESPONSIBLE – “Each of us will give an account of himself to God.” Rom.14: 12
• Accountability comes with leadership.
• Everyone is accountable to someone (accountability relationships).
• Who are you accountable to?
TRUTH – “It gave me great joy to have some brothers come and tell about your faithfulness to the truth and how you continue to walk in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” 3 John 3-4 (quickview)
• Truth is the knowledge and understanding you have acquired about god and His Word, His Will for your life and the way He wants you to live.
• Walking in the truth is to live according to what we know God expects of us.
• Are you walking in the truth? Do you have the courage to see reality and act on it?