Summary: GOD IS SPEAKING ... AM I OBEYING?
GOD IS SPEAKING ... AM I OBEYING?
I. (:1-6) GOD SPEAKS IN NATURE -- NON-VERBAL NATURAL REVELATION REVEALS THE GLORY OF GOD
A. (:1) Natural Revelation
"publish, declare, proclaim" -- very conspicuous, noticeable revelation; not hidden
B. (:1) Content: The Glory of God ... "the work of His hands"
1. What does this content include?
2. Limitations of this revelation
C. (:2) Constant Communication
by day and by night
not just a little bit of communication, but an abundance (pouring forth, bubbling up, flowing...)
D. (:3) Non-Verbal Communication
E. (:4) Universal Communication
F. (:4b-6) Example: The Sun Makes a Statement to All
Ryrie Study Bible: "Even a blind man can feel the heat of the sun"
II. (:7-9) GOD SPEAKS IN HIS LAW -- VERBAL SPECIAL REVELATION REVEALS THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD
A. (:7) The Law of the Lord
B. (:7) The Testimony of the Lord
C. (:8) The Precepts of the Lord
D. (:8) The Commandment of the Lord
E. (:9) The Fear of the Lord
F. (:9) The Judgments of the Lord.
III. (:10-14) GOD’S REVELATION IS INVALUABLE –
WHAT IS OUR RESPONSE?
A. (:10) Worth of God’s Revelation = Invaluable and Inviting
1. Invaluable -- Worth more than gold
2. Inviting -- Sweeter than honey
B. (:11) Function of God’s Revelation = Warn and Motivate
1. Warning -- Helps me stay on track
2. Motivating -- Helps me strive for the prize of my high calling
C. (:12-13) By-product of Immersion in God’s Revelation:
God Can Save Us From our Blind Spots as Well as:
1. Hidden Faults
2. Presumptuous Sins
3. Goal: to be Blameless, Forgiven
D. End Result: Worship that is pleasing to the Lord ("my rock and my redeemer")
* * * * * * * * * *
1) What can I learn about God today from nature? I need to open my eyes and ears to God’s creation and take away some precious truths that reinforce and serve to illustrate what God has already revealed about Himself in his Word.
2) What is it that I like most about the Word of God? (cf. how the heart of the psalmist overflowed with aspects of God’s Word that he found attractive.)
3) Do I really believe that there is “great reward” in obeying God’s commandments? Every day for devotions I should ask myself, What warnings should I be heeding from God’s Word? What commandments do I need to obey? Am I really valuing God’s Word above gold and silver?
4) Am I aware that I need God’s righteousness and forgiveness applied to my “hidden faults” and “presumptuous sins”? Do I ask God to search my heart and know me completely?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)