Summary: Keeping your eyes on the Lord.
THE HEAVENWARD LIFTED SOUL Psalm 25:1-l5
INTRODUCTION: These are days in which the Christian must draw near to the throne of God. Every day millions of people are taking tranquilizers to assure them of rest and ease. They take one tablet to keep them awake and another to make them sleep! However, this is not the solution to the problems which they face. Individuals need to lift their hearts, as David did, to the inclined ear of the Father. This may be done:
I. BY TRUSTING IN GOD; Vs. 2.
1. God should be trusted for daily provisions; Psalm 37:3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
2. God should be trusted for daily directions; Proverbs 3:5, 6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
3. God should be trusted for future blessings; I Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
II. BY SEEKING TO KNOW GOD’S WAY; Vs. 4
1. God’s way is a perfect way; Psalm 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
2. God’s way is a joyful way; Job 8:19 Behold, this is the joy of his way, and out of the earth shall others grow.
3. God’s way is the way to peace; Luke 1:79 Jesus is come to give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.
III. BY ASKING GOD TO FORGIVE YOUR INIQUITY; Vs. 11
1. Sin grieves the heart of God; Genesis 6:5,6 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
2. Sin mars the fellowship of man with God; Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
3. Sin causes the loss of rewards; I Corinthians 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
IV. BY KEEPING YOUR EYES TOWARD THE LORD; Vs. 15
1. Christians should look for an opportunity to witness; Acts 8:30,31 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
2. Christians should look for an opportunity to serve; Psalm 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
3. Christians should look for the return of the Lord; Revelation 22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.