Summary: 19 separate works of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament
The Holy Spirit at Work in the Old Testament
Genesis 1:1-2 (Plus multiple Scriptures)
Series: God’s Spirit at Work in Our World
Sermon by: Rick Crandall
McClendon Baptist Church - March 22, 2000
*God’s Spirit is very much at work in our world, and He always has been. I found 19 works of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament.
*Note: I used a few of these as examples in the original message. All 19 works are listed below with supporting Scripture:
1. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2. The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
Job 26:13 - By His Spirit He adorned the heavens; His hand pierced the fleeing serpent.
2. Communication (messages from God)...
2 Chronicles 24:20 - Then the Spirit of God came upon Zechariah the son of Jehoiada the priest, who stood above the people, and said to them, "Thus says God: ’Why do you transgress the commandments of the LORD, so that you cannot prosper? Because you have forsaken the LORD, He also has forsaken you.’ "
Ezekiel 2:2 - Then the Spirit entered me when He spoke to me, and set me on my feet; and I heard Him who spoke to me.
Ezekiel 3:24 - Then the Spirit entered me and set me on my feet, and spoke with me and said to me: "Go, shut yourself inside your house.
Ezekiel 11:5 - Then the Spirit of the LORD fell upon me, and said to me, "Speak! ’Thus says the LORD: "Thus you have said, O house of Israel; for I know the things that come into your mind.
Genesis 6:3 - And the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years."
4. Courage (strength & inspiration)...
33. Then all the Midianites and Amalekites, the people of the East, gathered together; and they crossed over and encamped in the Valley of Jezreel.
34. But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon; then he blew the trumpet, and the Abiezrites gathered behind him.
17. And David went out to meet them, and answered and said to them, "If you have come peaceably to me to help me, my heart will be united with you; but if to betray me to my enemies, since there is no wrong in my hands, may the God of our fathers look and bring judgment."
18. Then the Spirit came upon Amasai, chief of the captains, and he said: "We are yours, O David; We are on your side, O son of Jesse! Peace, peace to you, And peace to your helpers! For your God helps you." So David received them, and made them captains of the troop.
5. Counsel (the right kind of counsel)...
Isaiah 30:1 - "Woe to the rebellious children," says the LORD, "Who take counsel, but not of Me, And who devise plans, but not of My Spirit, That they may add sin to sin;
24. So the woman bore a son and called his name Samson; and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him.
25. And the Spirit of the LORD began to move upon him at Mahaneh Dan between Zorah and Eshtaol.
Nehemiah 9:20 - You also gave Your good Spirit to instruct them, And did not withhold Your manna from their mouth, And gave them water for their thirst.
Psalm 143:10 - Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Your Spirit is good. Lead me in the land of uprightness.
8. Leadership ability...
18. And the LORD said to Moses: "Take Joshua the son of Nun with you, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him;
19. set him before Eleazar the priest and before all the congregation, and inaugurate him in their sight.
20. And you shall give some of your authority to him, that all the congregation of the children of Israel may be obedient.
9. When the children of Israel cried out to the LORD, the LORD raised up a deliverer for the children of Israel, who delivered them: Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb’s younger brother.
10. The Spirit of the LORD came upon him, and he judged Israel. He went out to war, and the LORD delivered Cushan-Rishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand; and his hand prevailed over Cushan-Rishathaim.
1 Sam 16:13 - Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the midst of his brothers; and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel arose and went to Ramah.