Summary: Considered the Third Person in the Trinity. More important than just that. Responsible for those who get saved!
The Holy Spirit
Considered the Third Person in the Trinity. More important than just that. Responsible for those who get saved!
I. PLAYS MAJOR ROLE IN SALVATION
A. CONVICTS John 16:7-11
1. Initial Activity.
2. Realization of sin and guilt.
3. Trust Christ for forgiveness.
a. Reproving work, essential, Preaching in vain without work of the spirit.
4. Without the Spirit there is no need or desire for Christ.
B. REGENERATES John 3:3-7
1. Same as being born again. I Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
2. Sinner hears gospel and becomes aware of his need for the Spirit and Christ. Sinner becomes the object of the Spirits attention.
C. BAPTIZES Mark 1:6-8
1. Moment of salvation the baptism occurs.
2. Baptizes into one body the body of Christ. I Cor. 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
II. SPIRIT PROVIDES LEADERSHIP
A. INTERCEDES Romans 8:26-27
1. He knows our needs.
2. We know not what we pray for. Sometimes dangerous.
B. ANOINTS I John 2:20
1. Helps us to discern the Word.
C. FILLS US Ephesians 5:18
1. Baptism- once in a lifetime thing.
2. Every believer has been baptized but not every believer
has been filled.
3. Filling takes place when we begin believing and trusting in the Lord.
4. Doing His work also fills us.
5. How do you know when you've been filled?
a. When you feel a new life start.
b. When you begin to think of Christ and others above yourself.
This is the way to have true joy.
A. WITNESSES TO US Romans 8:15-17
1. Tells us our salvation is real.
2. Gives us strength to witness to others.
B. SEALS US Ephesians 4:30
1. Good to know we are sealed. Just like packages in stores, you feel safer knowing it was sealed when you bought it.
2. Ephesians 1:13 … after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Seals play an important role in Old Testament, when a King sealed something he put his mark on it, which meant unauthorized persons should not tamper with it.
C. INDWELLS US John 14:15-17
1. Lives within us.
2. He is always with us. I Cor.3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
Sometimes we go places wee shouldn't go. Remember!
HE'S ALWAYS WITH US.
IV. HE ENDOWS US WITH GIFTS
Holy Spirit enables us with gifts for the edification of the Lord.
John 16:7-11 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.