Summary: The 6th installment of a series on the Holy Spirit. Tonight we’re moving into the Book of the Acts of the Apostles, but which more appropriately could be called, “The Acts of the Holy Spirit.”
THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THE BOOK OF ACTS
A. HUMOR: MY COMPUTER GUY
1. I was having trouble with my computer. So I called Harold the computer guy, to come over. Harold clicked a couple of buttons and solved the problem. He gave me a bill for a minimum service call. As he was walking away, I called after him, "So, what was wrong?"
2. He replied, "It was an ID ten T error."
3. I didn't want to appear stupid, but nonetheless inquired, "An, ID ten T error? What's that ... in case I need to fix it again?"
4. The computer guy grinned.... "Haven't you ever heard of an ID ten T error before?"
5. "No," I replied.
6. "Write it down," he said, "and I think you'll figure it out." So I wrote out ........ I D 1 0 T
7. I used to like Harold...
B. TEXT & THESIS
1. Tonight we’re on our 6th installment on a series on the Holy Spirit. Tonight we’re moving into the Book of the Acts of the Apostles, but which more appropriately could be called, “The Acts of the Holy Spirit.”
2. We’re covering the ministry of the Spirit in the life of the Early Church. It all started just 50 days after Jesus’ crucifixion when after waiting 10 days in prayer, the Holy Spirit fell on the early disciples in power.
3. “When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.” Acts 2:1-4.
4. We’re looking tonight at the repercussions of this great event “The Holy Spirit in the Book of Acts.”
I. HOW N.T. OUTPOURING DIFF. FROM O.T.
A. NOW CAME INSIDE
1. While Jesus was still on Earth, the Holy Spirit was WITH the disciples, and after His resurrection would be IN the disciples (“the Spirit of truth…he lives with you and will be in you” John 14:17; 7:39).
2. In other words, the disciples weren’t “Born Again” until after Jesus rose from the dead. The Age of the Spirit wasn’t possible until after the Atonement at the Cross, so that our bodily Temples could be cleansed & then indwelt permanently.
3. The first thing Jesus did after rising from the dead was to breath on the 12(11); “And with that He breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.” Jn. 20:22.
4. This was the renewal of the original creative act of God when He made Adam & Eve and “breathed” His Spirit into them (Gen. 2:7). God did it again in the N.T.
5. This very clearly outlines the difference between the O.T. dispensation of the Spirit, and the N.T. operation of the Spirit after Christ’s redemption.
B. FILLING PROMISED TO ALL
1. In the whole O.T. period, only 26 individuals and 2 groups had the Spirit come INTO them. Each was only a temporary visit.
2. The universality of the promise is announced by Joel (2:28-29) “And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days.”