Summary: An introduction to the Trinity, One God, and The Holy Spirit.
A Japanese convert struggling to grasp the idea of the Trinity. Honorable Father, very good,” he said to his missionary teacher. “Honorable Son, very good. But Honorable Bird, I do not understand at all.”
Illustration taken from A. Todd Coget at sermoncentral.com
quoted from Philip Yancey in the forward of “Life in the Spirit” by Robertson McQuilkin
• The Holy Spirit is neglected in our studies today.
• In order to have a full understanding of God we must understand the Holy Spirit.
• We may not, in our finite minds, be able to grasp or comprehend all things about the Holy Spirit but we can come to an understanding about all that God has said about him.
I. The Unity of God
A. There is only one God. Deut. 6:4
1. Nothing else we learn about God can contradict this passage.
2. There is only one God, all others are false gods.
What is the nature of God’s Unity?
II. The Diversity within God
A. Some people see God as monolithic.
1. “Monos” means one; “lithos” means stone.
2. A monolith is one big stone; the same through and through.
3. Monolithic means: “without any differences.”
1. Jesus prayed that the disciples would be one just like he and the father were one.
2. Was the unity of the Apostles monolithic? Impossible.
C. The church as an illustration of this complex unity. 1 Cor. 12:12
1. The church is composed of many different elements (members).
2. Yet, it is one body.
D. There is one God, one Divine Being, but there is diversity in his oneness.
1. God is triad; Trinity.
2. God is three–in–one.
Affirming that there is only one God and yet there is diversity in his oneness, we then can look at the Personal traits of the Holy Spirit.
III. The Personality of the Holy Spirit
A. The Holy Spirit is self conscious and personal. Eph. 4:25–32
B. The Holy Spirit is not, as some claim, simply God in Action. 1 Cor. 12:11
1. He speaks. 1 Tim. 4:1
4. He can be grieved. Eph. 4:30
1. Sanctification means that you are dedicated to God to be his very own;
2. And that we are growing, or becoming, more like God in character.
The most encouraging thing to know about God, the Trinity, the Holy Spirit is that God wants you to be saved. God had loving fellowship within himself. He did not create out of loneliness. He wants all men, everywhere to enjoy the perfect love and fellowship that takes place in Heaven.