Summary: A Sermon on the dangers of Divorce and the importance of the Home.
Eph. 5:22--I Pet. 3:1-7
1. The Home is the seat of Revival---If it fails, it is because we have too often, Husbands and Wives that are Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
a. The Bible says, “a house divided against itself shall not stand.”
2. It is important that our homes be right because of prayer-I Pet. 3:7
3. Are our Homes right? The latest facts I have. Every day:
a. 2,740 kids runaway d. 30 teenage suicides
b. 3,000 teenage pregnancies e. 67,000 new cases of venereal
c. 1,967 divorces disease
(1) Ascending divorce rates: 1920-1 out of 7, 1940-1 out of 6, 1960-
1 out of 4, 1972-1 out of 3, 1977-1 out of 2. It is now over one divorce for ever marriage in America.
4. The Home is Scriptural--Gen. 2:18-- “And the Lord God said, it is
not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet
5. Divorce has no place in the home. In fact, Mal. 2:16 says that God
hates Divorce. “For the Lord, the God of Israel, saith that he
hateth putting away.”
a. Rom. 7:2-- “For the woman which hath an husband is bound by
the law to her husband so long as he liveth”
(1) When are they bound? Matt. 19:5-6-- “...For this cause shall a
man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they
twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but
one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man
put asunder.” “Cleave”--glued together not taped--Permanent.
(2) “Joined together” is an aorist active indicative which
emphasizes the finality of the action.
(3) Prov. 2:16-18--God sees marriage as a Covenant Relationship
and God does not break Covenants (Lev. 26:40-45).
b. Matt. 19:8-- “He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness
of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the
beginning it was not so.” A Bill of Divorce was given by Moses to
protect the woman who could be put away for “every cause.”
(1) The School of Hillel says the man could divorce his wife if she
“spoiled a dish for him.” The wife would be divorced without
any recourse on her part.
c. Matt. 19:9-- “And I say unto you, Whoseover shall put away his
wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another,
committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away
doth commit adultery.” (You have to agree--Only One Exception)
(1) Fornication is translated from a Greek word “porneia” and can
mean “incest”, “harlotry”, or “sex before marriage” depending
on the context. In the case of Divorce as in Matt. 19:9, it means
“sex before marriage and not “incest” or “harlotry.”
(2) One Proof Text--Matt. 1:18-19--Joseph found out Mary was
expecting with Child when they got married. “Then Joseph her
husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick
example, was minded to put her away privily.” Vs. 24-25 “Then
Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had
bidden him, and took unto him his wife. And knew her not till she
had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS”
(3) Second Proof Text--If Mary had committed Adultery, Joseph