Summary: The House Of The Lord
Psalm 23 The House Of The Lord 1. A Testimony of Sufficiency. 1: "The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want." (a) A Glorious Sovereign -a person having supreme rank and power; superior to all others
(b) A Gentle Shepherd "Lord "speaks of His deity.. shepherd speaks of His humanity.
As the Sovereign Lord He is able. As the sympathetic shepherd He is approachable.
John 10:11, "I am the Good Shepherd: the good Shepherd giveth His life for the sheep."
1. He is the Good Shepherd - He died to pay the penalty for our sin.
2. He is the Great Shepherd He rose to save us from the power of sin.
Heb 13:20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever Amen.
3. He is the Chief Shepherd - He is coming again to save us from the presence of sin. 1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.
4. He is the Saviour Shepherd that came to save the lost
Luke 19:10 "For the Son of man came to seek and to save that which was lost."
2. A Testimony of Serenity. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He Provides :-
1. REST 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
2. REFRESHMENT he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3. RESTORATION 3 He restoreth my soul: ie. David's Sin
4. RIGHTEOUSNESS he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness
3. A Testimony of Security 4, "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for Thou art with me: Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me."
There are three wonderful facts that give us comfort in the valley.
The Presence of the Shepherd.
"Thou" - David is not speaking of the Shepherd but to the Shepherd.
David never left his sheep in the valley and neither would The Lord.
Matt. 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Heb. 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Isa. 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
The Power of the Shepherd.
God's rod and staff were a comfort to David.
David had killed a lion and bear to protect his sheep. God would do what he had to do to protect his sheep.
The Purpose of the Shepherd.- To get the sheep safely through the valley.
4. A Testimony of Safety 5 "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies. Thou anointest my head with oil, my cup runneth over." (a) The Fullness We Have in Jesus: "Thou preparest a table..." Full sheep are happy sheep, (b) The Freshness We Have in Jesus: - thou anointest my head with oil; The oil symbolizes the Holy Spirit. 2 Cors 1:21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; 22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. (c) The Freeness We Have in Jesus: "My cup runneth over." John 10:10 I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly