Summary: Why were Peter, John and Paul so eager to pray for people to receive the Holy Spirit? This answer the Question: Why is the Spirit so important.
The importance of the Holy Spirit
Here we found the working of the Holy Spirit through a man that was full of FAITH and the HOLY Spirit Acts 6:5
· God is using him mightily.
· Multitudes listen to him.
· Miracles were done and then even the GREAT POWER V10 , Simon, believed.
· Notice in verse 13 that Simon follows Philip and notice all the miracles.
Let’s continue and learn God’s Word today for our souls.
B. V14 – 17
14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptised in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
· The news of Samaria receiving the Word of God reached the Apostles ears and they sent Peter and John to go and assist Phillip.
· Important to know that people must first receive the Gospel (Word of God) before the rest can follow.
· The Word of God is essential to our believe.
· You can’t claim that you received the Holy Spirit but don’t believe the Word of God.
· The Spirit and the Word of God goes together.
They came prayed for them V15 and then laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.
A good Question will be:
Why is the Holy Spirit then so important?
I mean listen to Paul in Acts 19:2 .
Did You receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?
Why is the Holy Spirit then so important?
Let me tell you why:
1. He is part of the Trinity. 1 John 5
7For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
2. He is our Helper. (Comforter) John 14:16
16And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever--
We need the Holy Spirit every second of the day.
3. He’s the Spirit of truth. John14:17
17the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
4. He’s our teacher. John14:25
26But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
How many times have read a part didn’t understand it at first then at
once you got it.
5. He gives us Peace . John 14:26
27Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives
do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
6. He convicts us. John 16:8
8And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Voice in head say do wrong.
7. He will tell us about things that will come John 16:13-14
13However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. 15All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you
Now it is IMPORTANT to notice that Peter and John didn’t give the Spirit, God did.
and He will give you another Helper
Man is but a mere instrument that God used here.
V17 . 17Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
C. So they received the Spirit. All but one … Simon… The sorcerer
V18And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money,
19saying, "Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit."
· Simon is making the same mistake that thousands today are making:
· They look at God’s power humanly (Naturally)
o This is what Paul was talking about in I Cor 2:14
14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
He says: "Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit."