Summary: When coming across scriptures that cannot be rationalized man has a tendency to NOT accept what the Bible explicitly reveals. Note the contrast of wisdom between God and man when dealing with the personal indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
The Indwelling of the Holy Spirit
Theme: Knowing whether the Holy Spirit personally dwells within the believer.
A. Because Christians live in the flesh it is no wonder that we have difficulty understanding the things of
1. The Bible teaches that the natural man cannot understand the things of God. 1 Cor. 2:12-14
2. What we do is rationalize from our earthly vantage point the things that are not of this world.
3. So, unless we are lead by the revelation of God’s word and accept what God revealed, we are no
different than the natural man, because we rely on the natural man’s mind.
B. Thus, when it comes to an understanding of the Holy Spirit some have difficulty accepting what the
word of God explicitly teaches.
C. Regarding the personal indwelling of the Holy Spirit: The word of God teaches us this simple truth
that is so difficult for many Christians to accept.
1. We shall contrast the wisdom of men with the simple (not symbolic, nor figurative) Word of God.
2. We shall also learn of the benefits of having the Holy Spirit within the believer.
I. PASSAGES THAT RELAY THE FACT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT’S INDWELLING
A. What the scriptures teach.
1. However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.... But
if the Spirit… dwells in you. Ro. 8:9, 11
2. Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 1 Co. 3:16
3. Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you. 2
4. Or do you think that the Scripture speaks to no purpose: “He jealously desires the Spirit which He
has made to dwell in us”? Jas. 4:5
5. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have
from God, and that you are not your own? 1 Co. 6:19
6. Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba!
Father!” Ga. 4:6
7. By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 1 Jn.
B. Regarding the Holy Spirit, there are many questions we cannot answer but accept by the revelation of
God because His thoughts and ways are so much higher than man. Isa. 55:8-9
1. Calling It a Him: many cannot rationalize the difference between the spirit that synonymously
reflects the conscience of a man with the living being that resides within a man.
2. Believing He could exist among yet within the Godhead: many cannot rationalize how three
distinct personages can make up the personhood we call God.
3. Comprehending how He could dwell within this tent we call a human body: many cannot
rationalize this possibility therefore throw the thought of it away from his belief.
4. It is this kind of unbelieving heart that keeps a man from growing in the knowledge and grace of
God’s word. Cp. Acts 17:11
II. PERSONAL INDWELLING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT: WISDOM OF MEN VS. GOD
A. Regarding the wisdom of men:
1. These include men who believe in God, the Christ and the Holy Spirit and may include those
mighty and eloquent in their study of His Word.