Summary: Ingredient number 3! Repentance.
• SLIDE #1
• I want to give you some ingredients for a couple of products, which one sounds better or better for you?
• Meat by-products, water sufficient for processing, chicken, poultry by-products, rice, artificial and natural flavors, calcium phosphate, guar gum, added color, potassium chloride, salt, carrageenan, magnesium sulfate, taurine, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.
• Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite.
• SLIDE #2
• SLIDE #3
• When we cook a recipe, it will not come out right if we leave out key ingredients.
• When people want to know what they need to do in order to become a Christian, we want to make sure we give them the whole recipe.
• We have examined the ingredients of faith and confession.
• Today we will add the ingredient of repentance to our recipe.
• Jesus told these men they would be His witnesses all over the world.
• Then 10 days after the ascension, the Holy Spirit came upon the Apostles.
• On the Day of Pentecost, Peter stands before the crowd and preaches a sermon in which Peter takes these devout Jews on a short trip through the Old Testament to show them that Jesus whom was crucified 50 days earlier was the Messiah.
• With that sermon, many of the people wanted to know what they needed to do.
• SLIDE #4
• Acts 2:37 (quickview) –38 (ESV) 37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
• Today we are going to only look at one of the ingredients that Peter shares with the crowd, next week we will look at the other.
• So let us begin our examination of the ingredient REPENTANCE.
• SLIDE #5
I. What is repentance?
• When the Jews were asking Peter what they needed to do in order to be saved, Peter said in part that they needed to repent.
• What was he telling them? Was he telling them they just needed to be sorry? Is sorrow repentance?
• SLIDE #6
• The word “repent” means to turn away from or to forsake. Repentance is brought on by godly sorrow. We are sorry for sinning against God and other people.
• Peter was telling the people that in order for them to be saved, they had to turn away from their old ways of sin and turn toward God.