Summary: The Abundant Life Jesus spoke about is a life-style choice - living for self or living for others
What is your goal in life?
Want you to write down the answer to a couple of questions
• What is your goal in life?
• If you were to give yourself a title to describe who you are, what would it be?
• Is your goal in life and the title you used to describe yourself consistent?
• E.g. If you said as a goal “I want to be a drummer in a Christian band” and the title you used to describe yourself is a drummer, then your goal and title are consistent
• Is the way you live your life consistent with your goal in life?
• If you said you want to be a drummer in a Christian band, but you never took the time to practice then your behavior is not consistent with your goals
Anyone want to share what they wrote down? Goals, title?
• Let me put this verse up on the overhead, what does it tell you about what your Number One title should be?
• What does it tell you about your goals?
Romans 8:15-19 (NLT) So you should not be like cowering, fearful slaves. You should behave instead like God’s very own children, adopted into his family—calling him “Father, dear Father.” 16 For his Holy Spirit speaks to us deep in our hearts and tells us that we are God’s children. 17 And since we are his children, we will share his treasures—for everything God gives to his Son, Christ, is ours, too. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.18 Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will give us later. 19 For all creation is waiting eagerly for that future day when God will reveal who his children really are.
• What else does this verse say to you?
• As a title, how many of you wrote down something like, a son of God, or a disciple of Jesus Christ, or a Christian?
• First and foremost in this life this is what you are – a son of God, a disciple of Jesus Christ!
• Bet none of you wrote down as a title that you are the son or daughter of your physical parents – even though that is a true statement – its just uncool to admit – there are much more important titles to admit to
• But here, Paul very clearly says, “We are Sons of God with all the rights associated with it”
So if that is our title, what should be our goal in life?
• To act like a Christian, in other words to become more like Jesus Christ
• Remember God goal right from the beginning was to make “man in our image”
• In this same chapter in Romans Paul explains the process
• Romans 8:29 For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn, with many brothers and sisters.
So here we see two very important concepts you should never forget as you go through life
• First, you are a literal son of God (That’s your title) and Second, your Number One goal in life is to allow God to mould and shape you into the image of His Son
How is this going to affect the way you live your life? Well it affects us in many ways, but I just want to focus on one aspect
How is it going to affect the way you relate to the world?
• I was driving home from Bendigo last week, it was close to midnight, about 3 klm from home and here’s this guy hanging under the bonnet of his with a flashlight