Summary: The Christian who is faithful in soul winning will have abundant rewards and a high position in the Kingdom of Jesus Christ
THE JOY OF A SOUL WINNER
Study Text: Luke 10: 17 - 20
- The winning of souls is a surpassing privilege that brings great joy each time a soul is won by the Gospel.
- There is no greater happiness and rejoicing than to see someone you have spoken to, prayed for, and cared for converted to Christ.
- The Apostle Paul called the Christians in the church at Philippi: “My brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown” (Philippians 4:1).
- Again, the Apostle Paul wrote to the Christians in the church at Thessalonica: “For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming? For ye are our glory and joy” (I Thessalonians 2:19-20).
- What tender words! What happiness! What rejoicing! Yes, there are blessings and joys for the soul winner – blessings and joys in this life, here and now!
- We shall discuss this topic under three sub-headings:
1. The Description of Joy of a Soul Winner
2. The Dimension of Joy of a Soul Winner
3. The Direction of Joy of a Soul Winner
1]. The Description of Joy of a Soul Winner
- The greatest achievement in this life and the most rewarding assignment one can be involved in as far as God is concerned is the faithful service of winning soul.
- This is because of the great importance of soul winning to the Saviour, the Soul and the Soul Winner.
- Man apart from Christ is in a terrible situation with great consequences both in this life and in the one to come.
a. He is Homeless
- He is not welcomed into the Family of God, and as far as the Kingdom of God is concerned, he is a homeless person.
- Ephesians 2:12a “at that time you were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise...”
- Hebrews 11:16 “But now they (believers) desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.”
b. He is Helpless
- He is in need of help, he cannot help himself and no man can help him unless he turn to God. The unsaved man is in a helpless situation until he receives help from God. Acts 4:12
c. He is Hopeless
- A man without Christ is a hopeless man just passing through this world to end up in eternal destruction.
– Ephesians 2:12b “... having no hope and without God in the world.”
- It will be a thing of great joy for a man to be used in restoring home for the homeless, restoring help to the helpless, and restoring hope to the hopeless.
2]. The Dimension of Joy of a Soul Winner
- There are various dimension of Joy for a soul winner:
1. Soul Winning brings Joy to God
- In the story of the Prodigal Son God is typified by the Father. When the prodigal returns note what the Father says about the prodigal. : Luke 15:32 “It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.”
- God takes great delight in the joy of those who repent. He takes great joy in those who embrace Christ and trust in Him and what He did at Calvary.
2. Soul Winning brings Joy in Heaven
- Not only does God rejoice, but all heaven rejoices, when a sinner repents.: Luke 15:7, 10 “I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance… Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."
- When the lost are found, even one of them is found, all heaven rejoices and throws a party. No wonder that the inhabitants of Heaven are thrilled when the redeemed go out seeking lost souls.
- As Christians, let’s ask ourselves, “How many times have we brought much joy to the angels?”
3. Soul Winning brings Joy to the Convert
- Note that after his baptism, the Ethiopian Eunuch “went on his way rejoicing” (Acts 8:39). The joy of his discovery of God’s truth, his consequent obedience to God’s truth, his release from the guilt of sin; his entering into a new life and his hope of eternal life, all combine to make the moment of conversion a source of incomparable rejoicing!
- There are four categories of Joy accessible to by the Convert
i. The Joy of Salvation