Summary: This is a sermon about the fact that God provides a way to ’start-over’ (powerpoint slides available upon request)
The Joy of “Do-Overs”
Preached 01-18-04 by Captain PB Stetser
As with all of my sermons, the PowerPoint slides I used are available if you think they would be helpful. Simply email me at PBStetser@use.salvationarmy.org and request the slides for the specific sermon.
What are they?
• My first experiences
– Sandlot baseball
• Or else ‘take my ball and go home!’
– My brother Dan & video games
Etch a sketch culture
• Seems like more and more people are looking for a “Do-Over”
– No one to remember their booboos
– No one to bring up their mistakes
– A chance to start over
Why is it important?
• Poor choices
– Hold us back
– Interfere with our plans
Hollywood loves this idea!
He was able to change his approach till he got it right!
• Clean Slate, 50 First Dates
• But we can’t in real life, can we?
– God has provided a way to start over
2 Corinthians 5:17 What this means is that those who become Christians become new persons. They are not the same anymore, for the old life is gone. A new life has begun!
Philippians 3:12 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be. 13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 14 I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven.
• Start with New Birth (recommit)
– The decision to change is most important
– Need to recognize you can’t earn your way!
• Nothing you can do is good enough!
– Apostle Paul “filthy rags”
» He had right family, education, training …
– Then, take care of your past
– Anything God tells you to take care of!
The Nexr BIG step!
• Then put it behind you!
• Sometimes harder to forgive yourself!
• Remember what Paul said?
– Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead!
– Press on!
He provides the strength!
• We already talked about how we cannot please God on our own
• He provides for us!
• Phil 4:13 For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need.
• We don’t need an Etch-A-Sketch lifestyle …
• We need to put Him in first place