Summary: What a day that was when eternal wisdom was revealed to man.
The Joy of Redemption
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
4 November 2012
"Sing for joy, O heavens, for the Lord has done this; shout aloud, O earth beneath. Burst into song, you mountains, you forests and all your trees, for the Lord has redeemed Jacob, he displays his glory in Israel."—Isaiah 44:23
The fact is the world is one great piano
• and it is man that plays it
• when he is full of joy and gladness
• he puts his tiny fingers upon the keys
• He wakes the world to his majesty of joy
If his soul is gloomy, then he plays some pensive, dolorous requiem
• Then the world must keep pace with/other little world--his mind.
The prophet, in this chapter, had been studying the great redemption which God had brought for his people
• he was so happy and delighted with it
• so overjoyed, so charmed, so enraptured
• That he could not help saying, "Sing for joy, O heavens."
The angels were looking down on man w/eyes of sympathy.
• Looking down at us with sympathy.
• Saying to us, “Sing, sinners can be saved”
Rejoice repenting sinners can have their sins forgiven them!
• The angels in heaven are saying,
• Look, see the stars they are like the bright eyes of God
• They are looking down upon the poor world every night.
• Sing, O blue skies of profound height!
• Sing for joy O heavens!"
And the Lord must come down from those lofty heights and look upon the earth and say, “O earth, echo, echo with song.”
• The valleys and plains sing.
• The majestic mountains and hollow caverns sing for joy!
• Let us all sound/joy because Jehovah has redeemed man!
• In His mercy he has come down to us poor souls.
Do you not see how the great poet and prophet, in a mighty fervency of delight, wakes the whole earth, and even heaven itself, to one mighty burst of song?
• And what is the subject of it?
• "The Lord has redeemed his people and glorified himself.
Oh, that I could stir in your hearts songs of joy for the redemption which God has brought for his people
For the glory which God has gotten to himself by this wonderful act of grace!
There are three redemptions/may well make all hearts rejoice:
• the first is, redemption by blood
• the second is, redemption by power
• And the third/completion/the two, redemption in perfection.
I. The first is, REDEMPTION BY BLOOD.
You know the story. Man had sinned against his God, and God, the Just One, must punish sin.
• So it is agreed that a plan must be made.
• a plan devised by which justice is satisfied
• And mercy will have full reign.
What a day that was when eternal wisdom was revealed to man.
The plan in which the Son of God should suffer instead of us.
• Justice will now have its claims discharged in full.
• Mercy now enjoys its boundless, unlimited sway!
• Sing for joy, O heavens, for the Lord has done this
• What wisdom has devised so benevolent a scheme!
Rejoice, O earth, because of the marvellous, matchless understanding which framed so wise a plan!
So it was necessary that someone should suffer instead of man.
• How else could man escape the wrath of God!
• Will the Eternal Son undertake to do this?
He is God; his glory is excessive; angels veil their faces as they adore Him.
Is it possible that he will ever become a man, to bleed, to be spit upon, to be scourged, to be crucified?
• Will He undertake to do it?
• Well, did He not say several times: Ps. 40:7, Heb 10:7.
“Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—I have come to do your will, O God.”
• There you have it!
Sing for joy, O heavens, shout aloud, O earth beneath.
• Let your hallelujahs rise!
• The Son of God has undertaken the redemption of men!
• That which was once only a scheme
• Has now become a covenant.
That which was only a plan in the divine mind is now a compact between the Father and the Son.
Now that Christ has undertaken it, will he perform it?
Well, the years roll on, the world gets older/and darker, yet He has not come.
• But suddenly shepherds were keeping their flocks by night.
• They heard a sound up yonder!
• Then a multitude of heavenly hosts appeared singing,
“Glory to God in the highest, on earth peace, goodwill toward men!”
• What in the world could this mean?
• It is Jesus, the Son of God!