Summary: - Ro. 1:16-17 is a Kaleidoscope giving beauty in its conciseness of the gospel. Formulating the theme of Romans into two verses. It summarize the gospel that he explains in the rest of the book
- It was invented 1817 by Sir David Brewster.
- Named from two Gk words meaning 'beautiful' and 'form', and added the word scope to show that it was something that you look through.
- A tube lined with mirrors set at angles to each other
- A continually changing pattern of shapes and colors
- Ro. 1:16-17 is a Kaleidoscope giving beauty in its conciseness of the gospel
- Formulating the theme of Romans into two verses
- It summarize the gospel that he explains in the rest of the book.
Paul was “…not ashamed?”
- It’s not the feeling of shame
- The shame brought by judgment of authority
Luke 16:3 (AV)
3 Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed. (I would be disgraced)
Hebrews 12:2 (AV)
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
THE MESSAGE | Ro 1:16
It’s news I’m most proud to proclaim, this extraordinary Message of God’s powerful plan to rescue everyone who trusts him, starting with Jews and then right on to everyone else!
GNB | Ro 1:16
I have complete confidence in the gospel; it is God’s power to save all who believe, first the Jews and also the Gentiles.
Three I Am’s
v. 14, “I am debtor v. 15, “. . . I am ready . . .”v.16, “. . . I am not ashamed . . .” s
The gospel: — What grand truths lie concealed in this Scripture, as in a kaleidoscope! The gospel being its focal point, several easy turns bring into clearest view some of the most precious things of our Christian faith.
Turn the Kaleidoscope to see its:
- “It is…power.”
- δύναμις [dunamis /doo•nam•is
- Dynamite - from Gk. dynamis "power"
- Hebrew [koach] Strength
Genesis 4:12 (AV)
12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; ….
- You see it at work in the reproductive forces of nature
“It is the power of God.”
- TO CREATE
Jeremiah 10:12 (AV)
12 He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and hath stretched out the heavens by his discretion (understanding, [intelligence TLB} ).
- HIS POWER IS INFINITE
- HIS POWER HAS NO BOUNDARY
Genesis 18:14 (AV)
14 Is any thing too hard for the LORD? …….
Luke 1:37 (AV)
37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
Luke 18:27 (AV)
27 And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.
Jeremiah 32:17 (AV)
17 Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:
- HIS POWER IS EVERLASTING
- Isaiah 26:4 (AV)
4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
“It is the power of God unto salvation.”