Summary: exposition on Matt ch 13
THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN
Matthew 13 v. 36 - 52 in this portion we have the :-
1. Spreading of the kingdom v. 31 - 34. in the Mustard seed and leaven
2. Separating of the kingdom v. 37 - 43. in the Tares and wheat
3. Seeking of the kingdom v. 44 - 46. in the Treasure and pearl of greatest price.
we see :-
(a) The secrecy of this treasure v. 44 "it was hid in a field", v. 46 "and found"
(b) The search for this treasure it was found :-
almost accidentally v. 44 e.g. Saul and jailor, or after much seeking,v. 45 e.g. Ethopian Eunuuch, or Cornelius
(c) The supremecy of this treasure v. 44 - 46 - the discovery, the delight, and the decision, to buy or not to buy.
(d) The security of this treasure v. 46 " he went and sold all that he had," it cost everything but was accounted a good investment
(e) The satisfaction of this treasure v. 44 "and for joy thereof" v. 46 "it was the pearl of great price", note the emphasis is not on the sacrifice but on the treasure... the sacrifice was worth it.
4.Spurning of the kingdom v. 47 - 50 in the dragnet. Here is:-
(a) The picture of judgement v. 47 "it gathered of every kind"
There were at least 3 types of fishing
(1) line and hook
(2) casting net (near shore)
(3) or drag net - with weights & floats, the net covered half a square mile, and everything within its radius was brought ashore & sorted
(b) The principle of judgement v. 48 - separation -the good was gathered, and the bad was cast away, as in Revelation 20 at the great white throne "and I saw the dead small and great,stand before God and the books were opened."
(c) The peril of judgement v. 50 "the furnace of fire" hell is a place of:-
(1) constant torment Revelation 14 v. 11 "and the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever, and they have no rest day nor night"
(2) torment of both body and soul - at death the soul and body separate, the body goes to the ground, and the soul to heaven or hell, but in the resurrection, the new incorruptible bodies (resurrected) will join the soul for eternity in heaven or hell, were there is no decay
(3) torment in various degrees "more tolerable" for Tyre and Sidon, and Sodom and Gomorrah than for the Lord’s generation.
(4) everlasting torment - "abandon hope all ye who enter here" it will be endless
5.Speaking of the kingdom v. 52" bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old "
the Apostle Paul says in 2 Corinthians 5 v. 9 - 11.
v. 9 "wherefore we labour that whether present or absent, we may be accepted of Him" - what a mission.
v. 10 "for we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ" - what a motivation.
v. 11 "knowing therefore the terror of the Lord we persuade men, but we are made manifest unto God" - what a message.