Summary: 1- The kingdom of heaven is like a landowner 2- The kingdom of heaven is like men working 3- The kingdom of heaven is like getting paid
INTRO.- The kingdom of heaven is a kingdom. It is a country, a domain, an empire. It is similar to our country and yet it is not similar. Heaven is not America and America is not heavenly!
ILL.- When Edward Everett Hale was Chaplain of the Senate, someone asked him, “Do you pray for the senators, Dr. Hale?” He replied, “No, I look at the senators and pray for the country.”
ILL.- Some Will Rogers’ quotes about leaders and government.
- Be thankful we’re not getting all the government we’re paying for.
- Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators.
- There’s no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
- The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that’s out always looks the best.
- I don’t make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
- About all I can say for the United States Senate is that it opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation.
- Politics has become so expensive that it takes a lot of money even to be defeated.
- The 1928 Republican Convention opened with a prayer. If the Lord can see His way clear to bless the Republican Party the way it’s been carrying on, then the rest of us ought to get it without even asking.
What is our responsibility in this kingdom we call the country of America?
I Tim. 2:1-4 “I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” WE MUST PRAY.
Titus 3:1-2 “Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.” WE MUST OBEY THE LAWS AND DO GOOD, NOT EVIL.
In our text, we have another kingdom, the most important kingdom. We are a part of this kingdom. We became a part of this kingdom when we surrendered our lives to Christ as Savior. And we are trying to get more people to be a part of this kingdom. WHY? Because God commands us to and because we care about people!
PROP.- In this parable, Jesus tells us what the kingdom of heaven is like.
1- The kingdom of heaven is like a landowner
2- The kingdom of heaven is like men working
3- The kingdom of heaven is like getting paid
I. THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS LIKE A LANDOWNER
Matt. 20:1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner…”
ILL.- In a move that shocked anyone who has ever seen "The Apprentice," including Tara Conner, Donald Trump announced Dec. 19, 2006 that he would not fire the embattled Miss USA, despite allegations of drug use, underage drinking and sexual misconduct.
He said, "She’s agreed to go into rehab. She knows that if she makes even the slightest mistake from here on, she will be immediately replaced. I believe she can do a tremendous service to young people."