Summary: God has provided for us, both in heaven, and the life that now is.
The Life That Now Is!
Foundational Text: 1 Timothy 4:7-8, 15 But refuse profane and old wives’ fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. (8) For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come. 15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.
Intro: Many people in the Body of Christ today have been duped into believing that “Godliness only pays off in the next life, however we will probably not have much to show in this lifetime”. “Here we wander like a beggar through the heat and the cold, but when it’s all over, and we land on the other side, it will be different. There’s a great day coming – after a while – when we’ve left this vale of tears and sorrow. There’s a great day coming…”
Hallelujah, there is a great day coming!!! But Paul said, “Godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of THE LIFE THAT NOW IS!! The life that “now is” is where “I is” right now in this present world. The life that now is, is where you is right now!
I. Living in the NOW
“having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.”
A. Exercise thyself unto godliness
1. Train yourself toward godliness (piety), [keeping yourself spiritually fit]. - AMP
2. Keep yourself in training for a godly life. – GNB
3. be training thyself unto godliness – Rotherham
B. Godliness is profitable unto all things!
1. Profitable, a. Yielding or bringing profit or gain; gainful; lucrative; as a profitable trade; profitable business; a profitable study or profession.
a. Profit - To improve; to advance. To make improvement; to improve; to grow wiser or better; to advance in any thing useful; as, to profit by reading or by experience.
b. ophelimos, and it means helpful, profitable, useful, beneficial, or something that is to one’s advantage.
C. Godliness is yielding or bringing profit or gain, it is to one’s advantage, beneficial, helpful, useful, making improvements, makes wiser or better, holding promise for the present life and also for the life which is to come.
1. for it carries with it the promise of life here and hereafter. – Goodspeed.
2. Godliness is yielding or bringing profit or gain, it is to one’s advantage, beneficial, helpful, useful, making improvements, makes wiser or better, for it carries with it the promise of life here and hereafter.
II. Four things Godliness Insures
A. Godliness Insures Protection
Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.
1. Psalms 91:1-16 HE WHO dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand]. (2) I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust! (3) For [then] He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. (4) [Then] He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge; His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler. (5) You shall not be afraid of the terror of the night, nor of the arrow (the evil plots and slanders of the wicked) that flies by day, (6) Nor of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor of the destruction and sudden death that surprise and lay waste at noonday. (7) A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand, but it shall not come near you. (8) Only a spectator shall you be [yourself inaccessible in the secret place of the Most High] as you witness the reward of the wicked. (9) Because you have made the Lord your refuge, and the Most High your dwelling place, [Ps. 91:1, 14.] (10) There shall no evil befall you, nor any plague or calamity come near your tent. (11) For He will give His angels [especial] charge over you to accompany and defend and preserve you in all your ways [of obedience and service]. (12) They shall bear you up on their hands, lest you dash your foot against a stone. [Luke 4:10, 11; Heb. 1:14.] (13) You shall tread upon the lion and adder; the young lion and the serpent shall you trample underfoot. [Luke 10:19.] (14) Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore will I deliver him; I will set him on high, because he knows and understands My name [has a personal knowledge of My mercy, love, and kindness--trusts and relies on Me, knowing I will never forsake him, no, never]. (15) He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. (16) With long life will I satisfy him and show him My salvation.