Summary: Know that life comes from God and that there is judgement after death, but Jesus has already settled that problem for us.
These are the words spoken by Jesus. They are not words that an ordinary man would say.
• No one dare to say he is from God, and that if you believe Him you have eternal life.
• No one would say that when the dead hears His voice, they will live.
Today if someone goes around saying something like this, we will call the police and send him to a mental hospital.
• But they did not do that in Jesus’ time. They saw something really different in Jesus. They heard something believable.
• Jesus was able to perform healing and miracles. What He did affirms what He says.
Those who trusted Christ experienced His love and a new life.
• Not only those who lived during Jesus’ time; but all who believe in His Name, experience the same reality – God’s love and a changed life.
• More than 2000 years have passed and we are still talking about Him today.
• Why? He is truly the Son of God, who has come to take away the sin of the world.
We want to pay attention to what He has to say. Here Jesus tells us 3 things:
(1) Life is from God. He is the Source of Life.
Verse 26 tells us life comes from God, because in Him is life.
• Both the Father and the Son Jesus have life. Our life comes from Him.
• John says right from the John 1 that Jesus is God and He is with God when they created this world.
John 1:1-5 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
Only God could give life or raise the dead to new life.
• The ability to give life is the prerogative of deity. No human can say that or dare say that.
• But Jesus can, because He is God. He came for this purpose, to save you and me.
Unfortunately, man did not recognise this God, or do not want to acknowledge Him.
• “The light shines into the darkness but the darkness has not accepted it.”
• Man has chosen to go on our own way, that’s sin. Life is no longer the way God has intended it to be.
• Without God, life cannot be complete and satisfaction in this life. Something is missing. There is a vacuum in our heart; nothing can fill it… except God!
• We cannot ignore or neglect Him.
Since we are alive, we must ponder the GIVER of life.
• If we can see LIFE, we must think about the SOURCE of life.
In love stories movies we often see how a guy goes after a girl, trying to befriend her. At the beginning, the guy is shy; do not dare to reveal himself. He buys flowers and put it on her table, and the card is signed “Secret Admirer”.
The tension of the plot lay in discovering who the secret admirer was. But you see the roses you will know someone is thinking about you, someone likes you and even loves you.
Finally, he reveals himself, they go out for dinner, fall in love, and get married.
When you see creation, the beautiful flowers, think of the Creator. Someone loves you and provided for you. Someone cares about you.
There was a heart cry from man, and God revealed who he is and what he is like by sending His son Jesus.
In a remote Swiss village stands a beautiful church - Mountain Valley Cathedral. It has high pillars and magnificent stained glass windows, but what makes it special is the most beautiful pipe organ in the whole region. People would come from far off lands just to hear the lovely tunes of this organ.
One something went wrong with the pipe organ. It releases the wrong tones and sounds of disharmony. Musicians and experts from around the world had tried to repair it. No one could find the fault. It was made unique, customised and no one really knows how to fit it. They gave up.
After some time, one old man came. "Why wasn’t the pipe organ used?"
"It’s not playing right," says the church staff.
"Let me try." Since it has been lying there, the staff reluctantly agreed to let the old man try his hand at it.
For two days the old man worked in almost total silence. The church worker was, in fact, getting a bit nervous.