Summary: The Man Of Sorrows
Isaiah 52:13 - Ch 53 The Man Of Sorrows
I. The Majesty of the Man
1) The Majesty of His Sovereignty - 13 Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high. Behold :-
His Humiliation “Behold, My Servant (Incarnation), His Examination "shall deal prudently," Luke 23:4 Then said Pilate to the chief priests and to the people, I find no fault in this man His Exaltation "He shall be exalted" (Resurrection) His Ascension “and extolled” His Coronation "and be very high."
2) The Majesty of His Agony - 14 As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men:
The Extremity In :- His Suffering, His Sacrifice, His Salvation.
3) The Majesty of His Victory - 15 So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.
Phil. 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
II. The Mystery of the Man
1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
1 Cor. 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
1) The Mystery Of His Life 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
John 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
1. THE COLDNESS OF THEIR REJECTION
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief:
A) How Contemptuously He Was Rejected - He is despised
B) How Casually He Was Rejected - and rejected of men;
C) How Continuously He Is Rejected - 3 He is despised and rejected(Present Tense)
In Contrast To :- 3 he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (Past Tense)
2. THE BLINDNESS OF THEIR REJECTION
A) Of The Word of Christ 1 Who hath believed our report?
B) The Work of Christ 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
C) The Worth of Christ 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions,
3. THE SADNESS OF THEIR REJECTION - 6 All we like sheep have gone astray;
A) Their Fault - All we like sheep B) Their Folly - have gone astray
C) Their Forgiveness - 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
2) The Mystery Of His Death 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows IN THE DEATH OF CHRIST :- THERE IS :-
A) A CURE FOR SICKNESS (moral sickness) Surely he hath borne our griefs,
B) A COMFORT FOR SORROW and carried our sorrows: