Summary: This message addresses how a godly man treats his wife. (Some of the material was taken from Jeffrey Anselmi’s sermon "The Roles of the Christian Husband."
THE MAN’S ROLE IN THE HOME
A. This week I ran across a list of things you’ll never hear Dad say–Here are the top 4.
ILL> Top 4 Things You’ll Never Hear Dad Say
4. Hey, kids, your mother and I are going away for a few days. You might want to consider throwing a party while we’re gone.
3. Whaddya wanna go and get a job for? I make plenty of money for all of us.
2. No son of mine is going to live under this roof without an earring. Now quit your belly-aching, and let’s go to the mall.
1. Well, how ‘bout that. I’m lost! Looks like we’ll have to stop and ask for directions.
1. This morning we are finishing up a series of sermons called "Home Builders"
2. Since it is Father’s Day I thought that it would be appropriate to talk about the role of Dad in the household–specifically, Dad’s relationship with Mom
ILL> A panel of women debated on what they thought would be the perfect man, a guy who was "with it," the man of every woman’s dreams. You would have thought they would have decided upon some actor (Tom Cruise) or even a wealthy tycoon (Donald Trump). They decided that the perfect man was MR POTATO HEAD. There were 4 reasons: he’s tan, he’s cute, he know the importance of accessorizing, and if he looks at another woman you can rearrange his face.
3. The relationship between a husband and wife is so important as it affects the entire household
a. It is difficult, if not impossible, to build a strong home when the relationship between Mom and Dad is not what it should be
b. That’s why the Apostle Paul emphasizes mutual submission as he writes to husbands and wives
c. READ: Ephesians 5:21-31
4. Once again, the key to this entire passage is verse 21
a. That word submit means to willingly put yourself in line with the other person–a yielding to authority
b. The husband is the head of the wife just as Christ is the head of the church
c. And Paul reminds us here that Christ gave His own life in order that the Church might live
I> SACRIFICIAL LOVE (VS 25)
A. Baseball is the only sport that I know of where "sacrifice" is part of the game
1. You don’t have the sacrifice putt in golf
a. You don’t have the sacrifice run in football
b. But you do have the sacrifice fly and the sacrifice bunt in baseball.
ILL> Baseball fans understand the importance of sacrifice. A man hit a sacrificial fly or lays down a sacrificial bunt. He takes the out while allowing the runners to move around the bases or to score a run. He makes the out. He hurts his own batting average. Players do it because the team is more important than the individual. It’s the team that matters.
2. Having a wife means giving up some of the things you like to do
a. Having children means that you give us some of the things you like
b. You may willing sacrifices because sacrifice and love go hand in hand
c. We can see that in the first verse that many of us memorized as children
d. John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.