Summary: Part 5 of Series. BIG IDEA: Together, our FAITH shields us from attack, while advancing in the heat of battle!
YEAH GODS…FOLLOW UP FROM LAST SUNDAY…BOB BEAVER’S VOICEMAIL…EMAILS FROM BOB FLECKEN, LORI HONEA, JESSICA BIGHORN…
BEHIND THE BADGE”
LAST STAND AT SKULL HILL - PART 5
JUNE 15, 2008 – FATHER’S DAY
Part 1 - THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY: Jesus stood alone so we can stand together!
Part 2 - TRUE GRIT: Truth is to live your life honestly by what God says!
Part 3 – OPEN RANGE: Being right with God, I can become right with others!
Part 4 – THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON: The Good News, of Peace with God, keeps us READY for battle!
Ephesians 6:16 (NASB) in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Pray for protection…Father God….demons flee!
Here Paul…our FAITH = our SHIELD…
Two Types of Roman shields: Ceremonial Shield vs. Battle Shield
Roman Ceremonial Shield:
• for public parades and ceremonies
• small round shield
• decorative piece of equipment
• decorated with etchings, engravings, beautiful to see
• never used in battle, just too small
• offered little to no protection
• not designed for battle, but for show
BTW…NOT shield Paul referring to, but IS shield that many Christians are toting around for protection. Hmmmmmm!!!!
SHIELD: thyreos (thü-re-o’s) (from thyra = door) x 1 in entire Bible = a shield, a large oblong, four cornered shield, Romans called it a scutum.
Roman Battle Shield:
• worn by heavy-armed infantry
• adapted to form of human body
• main form of complete body protection
• single handed combat = soldier completely protected
• deflected arrows, darts, missiles
• protected soldier from hand held weapons
• much larger
• oval shape or rectangular shaped like a DOOR
• semi-cylindrical in shape
• 2.5’ wide x 4.5’ tall
• covered soldier, large enough to reach from the chin to the knees
• protected most of the body
• light enough to be carried in a long battle
• multiple layers of flat strips of right angled wood/wicker work/animal hide glued/tightly woven together
• almost as strong as steel
• edge bound with light sheet bronze or iron
• central raised boss was heavy bronze or iron = weapon = thrust into enemy’s face or chest -> injury/disabled, then sword thrust forward into enemy’s body
• hand grip and an inner strap, hold close to body, leave other arm free for other weapons
• attached to small clip on soldier’s loin belt around waist = readily at hand in case he needed it quickly
• extremely tough and exceptionally durable
• VERY IMPORTANT THAT WAS TAKEN CARE OF
• to keep it in shape, EVERY AM, after saturating a piece of cloth with oil, he would begin to rub a heavy ointment of oil into the leather portion of the shield to keep it soft, supple and pliable
• If failed to provide care, certain death in battle for the shield would dry out become hard, stiff and brittle
• soak in water before going on battlefield, even if flaming arrows hit, they were extinguished upon impact by the wet surface
• large size of the shields allowed the soldiers to form a "testudo’’ (Latin for “tortoise”) \tes-tü-dō\ or shield WALL/SHELL that could protect them during an ADVANCE!
As we’ll see…our shields of faith TOO should be able to cover all of us, extinguish Satan’s flaming arrows, enable to gain more ground and be hooked TOGETHER, for battle!
OF ALL THE ARMOR OF GOD, WHY IS OUR FAITH OUR SHIELD? Answer is in the answers to these 3 ARMOR questions: What does it look like? How does it protect me? How do I put it on?
1. What is faith?
Hebrews 11:1 (NASB) …faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things NOT seen.
• = the conviction of things that are NOT seen in our lives!
• IOW, even though we don’t see it, we TRUST in it!
Faith is trusting God above all else!
Proverbs 3:5-8 (NASB)
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do NOT lean on your OWN understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
Do NOT be wise in YOUR OWN eyes;
Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
It will be healing to your body
And refreshment to your bones.
FAITH = believing God’s character: He is who He says He is!
FAITH = believing God’s promises: He will do what He says He will do!
FAITH = believing God’s Word: You are who He says you are! (SEE MY 1-27-08 WHO ARE YOU SERMON!)
When Paul begins to list the pieces of our spiritual armor, he starts with BELT OF TRUTH. He says in verse 14, “Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH” Earlier…soldiers would attach their shield to their belt!