Summary: Sermon discusses the Biblical basic that every believer is spiritually gifted, and the purpose of those gifts.
TEXT: Ephesians 4:7-16
ETS: The Lord has given grace gifts to every believer.
ESS: Every believer is to use his God-given spiritual gifts within the body of Christ.
OSS: Believers will commit to serve through the church.
PQ: What does the Bible teach about spiritual gifts?
TOPIC: The Meaning of Spiritual Giftedness
Someone once called a preacher to say he wanted to place church membership. But, he went on to explain that he did not want to worship every week, study the Bible, visit the sick, or serve as a leader or teacher.
The minister commended him for his desire to be a member, but told him the church he sought was located in another section of town. The man took the directions and hung up.
When he arrived at that address, the man came face to face with the logical result of his own apathetic attitude. There stood an abandoned church building boarded up and ready for demolition.
I. EACH BELIEVER IS GIVEN SPIRITUAL GIFTS (VS. 7).
A Each believer is given a spiritual gift or multiple spiritual gifts at the point at which he is saved.
1. It begins with the giving of the gift of the Holy Spirit (Text, Acts 2:38)
2. The Holy Spirit imparts a gift or gifts to the believer (text, 1 Cor. 12:11).
B Each believer’s gifts are given by grace.
1. Spiritual gifts are not earned but given without personal merit.
2. Spiritual gifts are abilities that are specifically imparted by the Holy Spirit and are not natural abilities.
3. Spiritual gifts are given to profit the whole church, not build up the individual (1 Cor. 12:7).
II. EACH BELIEVER IS GIVEN SPIRITUAL GIFTS IN ORDER TO HELP THE BODY OPPERATE EFFECTIVELY (VS. 11).
A Different gifts are given to different individuals (vs. 11; 1 Cor. 12:4,8-10; Rom. 12:4-6a).
1. He alone is the source of spiritual gifts.
2. The Holy Spirit gives the gifts as He desires.
3. He gives different gifts to different believers.
B Different ministries are assigned to different individuals
( 1 Cor. 12:5).
1. Similar gifts may operate in different ministries of the same church.
2. God appoints different believers to different types of ministries.
C Different aspects of the ministries are determined for different individuals (1 Cor 12:6).
1. Different operations or aspects of the same ministry gift and ministry are appointed to different believers.
* example: People with the gift of teaching can be appointed by the Holy Spirit to teach in different ministries (Bible teaching, Discipleship, Missions). People who teach in the same ministries are appointed by God to teach different age groups or classes.
III. EACH SPIRITUAL GIFT IS GIVEN WITH PARTICULAR GOALS IN MIND (VSS. 12-15).
A To equip each member of the body of Christ to do the work of the ministry (v. 12a).
1. Every member of the body of Christ is to be involved in ministry.
2. The purpose of spiritual gifts is to equip other members of the Body to minister.
* The feet are not there for their own glory, but to carry the rest of the body (equip) so that each other part can do it’s job, and the whole body can do its job.