Summary: A message about losing your first love (for the Lord and one another, asindividuals and a church) and how to get it back
The message to the church at Ephesus Rev 2:1-7
WBC 22 June 2002 am
It’s hard to believe there are no churches there, now.
- the church is there… but there are no ’churches’ there
It was a huge city in those days.
- on the East coast of what is now Turkey. Was then called Asia (Minor)
o maps 1, 2, 3
- 250-300,000 people. claiming as its proud title: “The first and greatest metropolis of Asia” and “The Light of Asia
- When the Roman Proconsul came to take up his office as Governor of Asia, the statute declared that he had to disembark at Ephesus and enter the province there.
o This is where he would have walked
Paul would have walked here, too
- he spent 3 years there.
- Planted a tremendous church… in fact revival broke out. ‘Extraordinary miracles’ Acts 19 tells us
- We reckon Timothy then went on to pastor it
It’s a warning to us all!
- “God would never allow this in Great Britain!”
o says who?
- “God would never allow this in my life”
o says who?
Would never WANT it- yes. Would never allow it?
• See what this book says
There’s the picture of Jesus walking among the 7 lamp stands and holding the 7 stars in His hand- intimately concerned, present and holding His church, His people
- but whether the buildings… evidence… is around in years to come… is their choice, not His
“Thank goodness this is just a word to Ephesus… the 7 churches”
- it’s SO much more
o it IS a letter to that church… to those churches (groups)
one letter circulating.
o But, it’s a letter to ‘he who has an ear’
Don’t even have to have two! To be able to hear!
Got ONE ear? Then hear what the Spirit SAYS to the churches’
The bit to Ephesus is RICH with commendation. The highest commendation, actually
- along with Thyatira- who He also scolds
- Smyrna & Philadelphia are not praised so much
o Because they’re not rebuked so much, as well
- > says something about God’s ‘people management’
- deeds… ‘hard work’ (implying ‘to the point of exhaustion’)…
- perseverance. In the face of
cf Paul and Demetrius Acts 19:24, Diana/Artemis
Paul dragged, here
Spiritual attack Diana/Artemis/ Ephesian letters/ Eph 6. Huge temple of Diana- one of 7 wonders of the world. 425x220ft. 120 pillars, 60 ft high
Attack from Jews & false teacher ‘savage wolves Acts 20:29
- Discernment: able to test and discover who’s false
o They knew their stuff, all right
- Not growing weary (v3) in spite of working to exhaustion
o Still doing the work.. burning on… doing the stuff
o It is RIGHT to stick at it… work hard at the right things… ‘break sweat’
But here’s the crunch: you’re not doing it in/for love, anymore. I
- it’s blind duty… you’re not listening to ME
- you have forsaken your first love
o probably: for the Lord
o possibly: for others
And ‘forsaken’ is a strong word. Stronger than ‘lost’
And that’s made all you DO useless
- in fact: it’s not about what you do. It’s about you and God
- they’re working, labouring- but it’s no longer (as in 1 Thess 1:3) ‘a labour prompted by love’