Summary: When we preach this message we must lead all men beyond us to Christ, “We preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord.” II Cor 4:5
“The Messenger and The Message”
“The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.”
We find John the Baptist in the Gospel of John the Apostle, preaching the gospel of Jesus, the gospel of repentance and of baptism for forgiveness of sins. The Baptist was a messenger of the word of God, taking the word of God to those who had yet not received, to those in need.
I. True Messenger:
A true messenger is a person who sees Jesus for himself. You have to know Jesus to be able to share Him to others. John had at a time not know Him, but was appointed to do the work of a messenger.
“And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water…”
A True Messenger must:
A. Have a personal relationship with the Lord.
1. Be on the lookout for the Lord’s appearing.
2. Rejoices to preach Jesus as one who has himself seen and known and still hopes to see.
3. Preaches Jesus as come into man’s heart, and is coming soon!
B. Calls all men to see Jesus, “Behold the Lamb of God.”
1. At all times, in public and in private.
2. Continuously preaching this message of hope, John was preaching this message, “again the next day after” v. 35
3. Preaching earnestly and emphatically. “Behold!”
C. Leads all men to Christ, John’s disciples had been and heard John and followed Jesus. V. 37
1. John had men who had accepted this message and went with him as he preached.
2. John had the humility needed that when it was time he led these men and women to the Lord and leave the Baptist to follow Jesus. This was the glory of John the Baptist.
3. John rejoiced at this fact that the disciples that he had ministered to were brought to the Lord almighty.
In order to preach this message you must be a true messenger, without the conviction, the passion of the word of God you will not be able to carry this message. The mail carrier has a duty to deliver the mail, if he cannot deliver it he will not last very much as a deliverer. The same will happen to us, if we do not take this message what will be of us?
When we preach this message we must lead all men beyond us to Christ, “We preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord.” II Cor 4:5
D. The Messenger must loose himself in Christ.
1. His need will be Christ. “He must increase, but I must decrease.” Jn 3:30
2. Must understand this concept, we are the Bridegroom’s friend, and not the Bridegroom. Jn 3:29
Pastor Ricardo Rodriguez
Marsing Apostolic Church